The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Learning difficulties?  (Read 745 times)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Learning difficulties?
« on: 11/06/2015 16:56:18 »
Hello, I did not know what section of the forum would be appropriate for this post, so decided to post it in just chat!

I am seemingly having difficulty to memorise what I am reading from books, and my mind does not seem to even interpret the information I am reading, apart from some small parts. Now if I view a video or a diagram or picture, the information seem's to stick and my brain interprets the visual information that is often narrated.  I think that I think in pictures and I am living inside my own head using logic as my guide to everything I think.
I have to question my sanity, or logically assume it is something else, can a person be aware they are insane but control it with logic?
or can a persons mind already be full so can only take on a few new bits of information?
or other reasons?

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Learning difficulties?
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2015 14:15:04 »
I also tend the think very visually. Did you try the mind maps? They are a more visual aid.
You could try writing down what you are reading as notes or examples, as using a different process from reading could help put the info into memory. Also, after a short time, say end of a paragraph or page, try testing yourself on what you are reading.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2015 17:21:33 »
Hello, I did not know what section of the forum would be appropriate for this post, so decided to post it in just chat!

I am seemingly having difficulty to memorise what I am reading from books, and my mind does not seem to even interpret the information I am reading, apart from some small parts. Now if I view a video or a diagram or picture, the information seem's to stick and my brain interprets the visual information that is often narrated.  I think that I think in pictures and I am living inside my own head using logic as my guide to everything I think.
I have to question my sanity, or logically assume it is something else, can a person be aware they are insane but control it with logic?
or can a persons mind already be full so can only take on a few new bits of information?
or other reasons?
When you read a book or a text you shouldn't do so with the goal of trying to memorize it. Just read it and as you go you'll absorb more and more and understand more and more. What really solidifies learning physics is working problems, not reading.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2015 17:21:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums