The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is drinking reverse osmosis water harmful?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Orchid Slayer

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is drinking reverse osmosis water harmful?
« on: 11/06/2015 23:13:46 »
I have been drinking about 6 liters of reverse osmosis water a day. I heard this can be bad as it pulls minerals out of my body. Is this true?

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is drinking reverse osmosis water harmful?
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2015 23:59:53 »
As long as you are also eating enough minerals it should not be a problem. There also isn't that much difference between completely pure water and what you might get from a tap (depending on where you live), in terms of mineral-leaching capability. Body fluids (extracellular) can have sodium (140 mM), potassium (5 mM), calcium (10 mM), chloride (100 mM), and bicarbonate (25 mM) among other mineral ions. In contrast, typical drinking tap water has less than 5 mM sodium content, and even hard water only has less than 2 mM calcium content. So the concentrations of minerals in tap water is much closer to pure water than to what is in your body.

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2015 02:57:53 »
"Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy."

-- Paracelsus

Let me tell you about the idiocy which  killed a young lady from water toxicity in 2007 because she was trying to win a radio contest broadcast by a pair of imbeciles in Sacramento. She downed 7.5 liters trying to win a Nintendo Wii - and came in second. Maybe you should only drink when you are thirsty because 6 liters / 7.5 liters = 80% of what killed this 27 year old young lady.

Read the story in the LA times here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/14/local/me-water14

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2015 03:41:33 »
I totally agree that dosage makes the poison. Water, oxygen, nitrogen, sugar, protein etc. are all lethal in high enough doses.

However, I would like to point out a common misunderstanding--dosage is not an amount (unit of mass or volume), it is a rate (unit of mass or volume per unit time), and is usually adjusted by body weight (for instance: mg poison per kg body per day).

Drinking 7.5 liters of water in one hour could very well kill a 120 lb person. Drinking 6 liters of water per day for a 190 lb person is very different (I am only making up these masses, I have no idea how much Orchid Slayer may weigh...)

How much water one needs also depends on what they do all day. If Orchid Slayer is a break dancer working the streets of Phoenix Arizona (for instance), 6 liters per day might not be enough.

That said, my initial reaction to 6 liters per day was that that seems high...

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2015 04:30:48 »
Well, without a medical history it is silly to offer any thing but a general opinion. I think this lady would be well advised to leave a phone message to her GP so that he can be hep to the step. "Hey guv, I'm drinking 6 liters of water  per day." ought to do it. That way if she presents to the OR in an obtunded state, they might be able to hit the ground running and not waste precious time fossicking around playing 20 questions.

When I was in Scotland, I noticed that people drank tap water with no ill effects. Perhaps this lady would be better off to go north of the Dee and avoid all of that Sassenach water entirely.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2015 06:01:08 by Pecos_Bill »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/06/2015 09:49:20 »
The opposite is even more dangerous - drinking 1 litre of seawater will add too much minerals to your body, and could well kill you.

I think that drinking 2 litres of water per day (plus usually about another litre of water in cooked food) will meet the needs of most people who aren't doing extreme physical labour.

I am puzzled about why Orchid Slayer started this extreme water consumption?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 13/06/2015 09:49:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums