The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: cold water and exercise  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Ema

• View Profile
cold water and exercise
« on: 06/11/2006 01:54:01 »

This is my very first topic in this forum.

So, it is recommended to have cold water after exercise, why?

I think it is just to aid in dropping the heat.

But our instructor said : it aids in stomach absorption ??? when I asked how , he said there are studies that showed certain minerals and vitamins are faster absorbed with cold water . I searched PubMed ..I didn't find such info.

Anyone knows ? why better to have cold water during exercise? do u know anything about absorption being correlated to temperature of drinking water?

Thanks.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: cold water and exercise
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2006 03:25:34 »
Hi Ema,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

I am sure some answers will ensue but I just wanted to say Hi and hope you stick around and have fun here !

Offline Ema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2006 15:34:32 »
Thanks Neilep.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2006 20:22:58 »
Come on peeps in the know !!

...we have a new friend here requiring assistance....lets afford her some gracious compliance and sort it out !!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/11/2006 01:29:07 »
Hi Ema - Can't answer your question, but just wanted to say HEY & WELCOME.

Carolyn

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 07/11/2006 12:06:15 »
Hi Ema

this sounds like rubbish to me. Once water enters the body it doesn't stay cold for long. The liquid runs down the oesophagus, behind the heart, picking up heat all the while. By the time it reaches the stomach it's close to body temperature, 37 degrees celsius.

All of the body's components are optimised to work at this temperature, including the processes that absorb nutrients and minerals.

I'd suggest to your gym instructor that he sticks to advising people about exercise and fitness and leaves gatroenterology to the people who know what they're talking about!

Chris

Offline Ema

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2006 13:16:45 »
Thanks Chris.

I wasnt convinced at all with what my instructor said and this was the primary reason for me investigating abt the subject matter. I tried to explain it as possibly activation of thermo receptors in the GI tract might elicit some vagal stimulation or increase motility .. but this sounds as trying to make sense of  nonesense

you made a point, the optimun temp for almost all functions in our bodies is 37 degrees celius.

Hi Ema

this sounds like rubbish to me. Once water enters the body it doesn't stay cold for long. The liquid runs down the oesophagus, behind the heart, picking up heat all the while. By the time it reaches the stomach it's close to body temperature, 37 degrees celsius.

All of the body's components are optimised to work at this temperature, including the processes that absorb nutrients and minerals.

I'd suggest to your gym instructor that he sticks to advising people about exercise and fitness and leaves gatroenterology to the people who know what they're talking about!

Chris

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 10/11/2006 13:47:35 »
My pleasure Ema. Glad to be of service.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum