The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The grey squirrel ..... alien pest or supper?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
The grey squirrel ..... alien pest or supper?
« on: 22/06/2015 20:38:53 »
The gray squirrel has been a staple in the cuisine of the scotch-irish who settled the Appalachian and Ozark mountains. While squirrel is very properly disdained by flatlanders - and people on food stamps - it remains a common item of local diets.

I am informed that they are best taken with a .410 shotgun because of its limited range and small shot, but a good sling shot with a lead sinker is surprisingly effective if they haven't been shot over too badly.. They provide better sport than a fox, or so imagine.

Since I keep seeing BBC commentators sniveling about the loss of native red squirrel habitat due to invasions of the fierce and alien grey invaders I have dug up a pinterest page with several recipes for squirrel.(1.)

I, myself, might like a taste of "Braised squirrel with bacon, mushrooms, and pinot noir".

(1.) https://www.pinterest.com/dawnamc76/wild-game-recipes/

« Last Edit: 10/07/2015 08:35:45 by chris »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: The Gray Squirrel ..... alien pest or supper?
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2015 07:44:50 »
The grey squirrel isn't a particularly fierce invader but happens to carry a parasite to which it is immune, but which is lethal to red squirrels. More like a biochemical terrorist combined with a persistent spelling problem. 

I think the answer may lie in breeding a resistant strain. The black squirrel that is common in the northern USA and Canada seems to be immune and morphologically similar to the red, so perhaps we could breed a Frankensquirrel to give the redcoats a fighting chance against the southern rebels.

Meanwhile Her Majesty's Government is indeed promulgating squirrel-based cuisine, in both English and Welsh, to encourage collaboration with the remaining Reds.   

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2015 15:37:20 »
As Alan wrote, the main problem is pathogenic. But the Red squirrel is also far more timid than their cheeky American cousins which will happily feed from your hand.

The large population of Grey Squirrels is also responsible for taking quite large numbers of birds eggs.

It has been suggested that we start eating them and some butchers are selling squirrel meat. However, I imagine it might take a few animals to feed the average family and I cannot see squirrel stew being on the menu after a day in the park feeding Monkey nuts to the squirrels.

As to your suggestion that a .410 shotgun would be the weapon of choice for dispatching wild squirrels, here in the UK a shotgun certificate is required by law to own such a weapon and it would not be wise to go a wandering in Greenwich or Richmond Park sporting such a weapon, let alone brandishing it about and firing on a cheeky & cute little squirrel taking nuts from children. Methinks armed police would pretty quick have you in their sights loudly issuing warnings to 'put the gun down & lay flat on the ground or we will open fire'.

YIKES!!!

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2015 07:29:53 »
Firstly, grey squirrels do not eat, "quite large numbers of birds' eggs". If food is scarce they might, but so might anybody. I have learned this from the RSPB,  no less  (http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/901/t/8824.aspx)

I see your point  about using a .410. Living in a country with sane gun laws seems unreal to me after a life in the US.

If what you say is true, then you would have to get a slingshot with, say, a 2 ounce lead sinker.

I understand that the red squirrel was driven out of the new forest by the grey squirrel about the 70's. I don't hunt myself and I certainly wouldn't do so in Richmond park.

However, culling a noxious and invasive species is a horse of a different color. Suppose they put a bounty on them in the new forest? Say, one pound per pair.

Haven't I heard that the wise and clement Tory government has welshed on its promise to cut University fees? Too many squirrels and not enough cash. Even the dumbest freshman ought to be able to figure a way out of that stinker. I can't imagine hunting squirrels for sport, but here is a link to some who do...

http://lewand.tripod.com/sqstrat.html
« Last Edit: 10/07/2015 07:40:57 by Pecos_Bill »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2015 07:57:04 »
... Too many squirrels and not enough cash. Even the dumbest freshman ought to be able to figure a way out of that stinker ...

Not to mention the anthropomorphic taxidermy oppertunitie$ ...
http://crappytaxidermy.com/post/99596793855/adorable-little-british-squirrel-people-that-adele :)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
Re: The grey squirrel ..... alien pest or supper?
« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2015 23:49:47 »
So they are selling ale in bottles tucked away in dead animal skins. Very droll.

My experience from watching beer consumption in the UK ( and elsewhere) is that you might as well just pour the keg into a trough.

My case may be affected by never getting a beating when my old man was sober. As soon as people start talking loudly I abruptly make my excuse and apply my buskins to the rear.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: The grey squirrel ..... alien pest or supper?
« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2015 23:49:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums