The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you think of my ironing idea?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What do you think of my ironing idea?
« on: 26/06/2015 07:50:01 »
Paul asked the Naked Scientists:

Oh to be able to wave my clothes iron over a barcode on the tail of a shirt. The barcode would read the material of which the shirt was made and the iron would self-adjust it's heat. when the heat is right, it would beep and I could then see on a display on the side of the iron what temperature it was. I could iron my shirt safely without worrying about it burning the shirt.
I know. Buy shirts I dont need to iron. I was trying to think of a job for the unemployed making these irons and labelling clothing.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 26/06/2015 07:50:01 by _system »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of my ironing idea?
« Reply #1 on: 26/06/2015 14:55:00 »
That's a nifty idea, though I don't know how economical it would be to add a processor to an iron... You might also consider putting a little infrared spectrometer in the iron so no barcode is needed--the iron would just scan the shirt, and identify the material (less cost effective, and less help employing people, but way cooler)

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/06/2015 15:42:37 »
I like the idea, it could be used on any material.
If you put bluetooth into the iron you could scan the code via your phone.
Could work for washing machine as well.
Not sure the idea is worth protecting, but try contacting a manufacturer, they might have a reward system for good ideas.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/06/2015 19:08:06 »
It sounds like an idea that should be pay tented (I spell it that way to avoid this being picked up by searching thieves). Unfortunately, you shouldn't share your idea publicly before pay tenting it as that can destroy the possibility of getting a pay tent. Of course, the process is expensive and so most people aren't able to protect their ideas, which means that releasing details publicly can be the best option as it stops other people pay tenting the idea and hopefully means that the product will be a fraction less expensive for you to buy. If you do decide to try to protect the idea though, you should request the deletion of this thread.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 26/06/2015 19:08:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums