The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you think of these moon hoax people?  (Read 5865 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What do you think of these moon hoax people?
« on: 05/07/2015 18:10:53 »
What do you think about these people who think we never landed a man on the moon? Just to set your mind at ease that we really did, 2009 satellite photos were taken which shows the landers etc. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Reconnaissance_Orbiter

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of these moon hoax people?
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2015 18:54:03 »
Come on Pete, you know the images were faked! Do you seriously think anyone in this forum believes in Newtonian mechanics, common sense, or Occam's Razor?

It's all one big hologram/simulation/conspiracy. Or possibly aliens interfering with our brainwaves. 

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2015 23:12:43 »
What! The moon is a hoax? Is the sun a hoax too? Next you'll be telling me Elvis is dead.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/07/2015 23:56:16 »
Elvis, which Elvis? The one living in the moon?

I have come to the conclusion that there are people capable of believing almost anything. Apparently around 16% of people in western countries believe that the sun and planets go around the earth. Hey there are even people who imagine the atom as a little solar system, or don't believe in photons - how weird is that?
There is a lot of psychological research now being directed toward these belief systems and it is showing some interesting trends. A believer usually believes in more than one 'theory' even when these conflict with each other. The psychologists have a fancy name for the syndrome, I use the term gullible.

Offline lungo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/07/2015 04:53:03 »
The idea that a moon landing hoax contributed to an overall effort to bankrupt the Soviet Union is seductive but ultimately ridiculous. Had it been a hoax it would have been debunked years ago by successive exploratory missions that surveyed the surface of the moon both by the Russian and Chinese space agencies. On the other hand, nothing in the current state of technology suggests it wouldn't have been possible.
I'm not a scientist, just an artist who stares in wonderment at a rocket taking off, but for purely poetic reasons I choose to believe we have been there. Isn't it the best part of our humanity that propels us to set a flag where no one has before? Of course we have been there. And should I ever win the lottery I plan to be among the first tourists to visit as soon as someone opens a hotel up there.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/07/2015 10:44:20 »
The faked moon landings were the final achievement of the of the soon to die Hollywood film industry.
Later improvements in rocket technology allowed for the landing of laser reflectors, flags, rovers etc. to reinforce the hoax.
I know that in fact the earth is flat as I was taught at school that projectiles move in a parabolic path whereas if it was round their path would be elliptical
« Last Edit: 06/07/2015 16:20:09 by syhprum »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/07/2015 11:37:49 »
... The psychologists have a fancy name for the syndrome ...

"Crank magnetism" ?
« Last Edit: 06/07/2015 11:39:54 by RD »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/07/2015 11:49:23 »
Quote from: alancalverd
Come on Pete, you know the images were faked! Do you seriously think anyone in this forum believes in Newtonian mechanics, common sense, or Occam's Razor?

It's all one big hologram/simulation/conspiracy. Or possibly aliens interfering with our brainwaves.
When it comes to conspiracy theories such as this I live under two axioms:

1) A conspiracy theorist is unable to change their mind because they are, for all intents and purposes, brainwashed into thinking they are correct. Unless you're really bored and want to have sport with them, they are best ignored.

2) People who are reasonable can be convinced with reasonable evidence and will never buy the nonsense spread by conspiracy theorists.

There are times when the conspiracy theorists raise interesting questions. It's only their theories which are hogwash. E.g. I wasn't fully aware of what the American flag looked like when it was unfurled on the surface of the moon, i.e. it waved. However once I thought about it for a few seconds it was very clear to me why it waved and that had to do with the motion of the flag pole and how that motion was passed onto the flag. Given there was no air to dampen the motion it looked like it was waving in an atmosphere. One of the reasons I want to build a vacuum chamber is to see what a flag looks like when its motion isn't damped by air. Contrary to what some people might have thought, I'm not really building it to prove the nutjobs are wrong. They can't be convinced of anything.
Quote from: syhprum
The faked moon landings were the final achievement of the of the soon to die Hollywood film industry.
Later improvements in rocket technology allowed for the landing of laser reflectors, flags, rovers etc. to reinforce the hoax.
I know that in fact the earth is flat as I was taught at school that projectiles move in a parabolic orbit whereas if it was round their path would be elliptical
Please tell me you're kidding!?
« Last Edit: 06/07/2015 11:51:18 by PmbPhy »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/07/2015 16:19:18 »
Although my comments about the moon landings were rather tongue in cheek one of my pet hates is when people talk about projectiles moving in a parabolic manner if in fact this was true it would be convincing evidence that the Earth is flat and of infinite extent   

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/07/2015 17:50:29 »
Although my comments about the moon landings were rather tongue in cheek one of my pet hates is when people talk about projectiles moving in a parabolic manner if in fact this was true it would be convincing evidence that the Earth is flat and of infinite extent
Why? I.e. how did you arrive at that conclusion? When a projectile is launched from, say, a cannon or gun, or what have you, there is an approximation for the gravitational field that is used. I.e. since the projectile never goes more than perhaps a few miles. As such it won't travel that far compared to the radius of the Earth. Even at that height and distance the gravitational field doesn't change much so we use the approximation of a uniform gravitational field in such calculations. When a projectile is launched in a uniform gravitational field it follows a parabolic trajectory. In reality it follows a hyperbolic trajectory which is very close to being a parabola near the point on the trajectory of maximum curvature.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06/07/2015 18:15:19 »
What do you think about these people who think we never landed a man on the moon? Just to set your mind at ease that we really did, 2009 satellite photos were taken which shows the landers etc. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Reconnaissance_Orbiter
Actually I had zero desire to discuss the moon hoax. I only wanted to point out this orbiter photos which show the landers and are more evidence that we were there. But I had to write the subject line as a question, which really irritates me. This should be a discussion forum. Not a question forum.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/07/2015 20:30:07 »
Why? I.e. how did you arrive at that conclusion? When a projectile is launched from, say, a cannon or gun, or what have you, there is an approximation for the gravitational field that is used. I.e. since the projectile never goes more than perhaps a few miles. As such it won't travel that far compared to the radius of the Earth. Even at that height and distance the gravitational field doesn't change much so we use the approximation of a uniform gravitational field in such calculations. When a projectile is launched in a uniform gravitational field it follows a parabolic trajectory. In reality it follows a hyperbolic trajectory which is very close to being a parabola near the point on the trajectory of maximum curvature.
"It then could calculate an offset angle and change of range between the target's present position (LOS) and future position at the end of the projectile's time of flight. To this bearing and range offset, it added corrections for gravity, wind, Magnus Effect of the spinning projectile, stabilizing signals originating in the Stable Vertical, Earth's curvature, and Coriolis effect. "

from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_gun_fire-control_system#cite_ref-NavOrdAndGunV2_1-12

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07/07/2015 01:13:10 »
The idea that a moon landing hoax contributed to an overall effort to bankrupt the Soviet Union is seductive but ultimately ridiculous. Had it been a hoax it would have been debunked years ago by successive exploratory missions that surveyed the surface of the moon both by the Russian and Chinese space agencies. On the other hand, nothing in the current state of technology suggests it wouldn't have been possible.

Oh ye of little faith! Just follow your own logic!

The US government (or rather, the Zionist conspiracy that runs the US government) paid Hollywood to fake the moon landings in order to bankrupt the Communists. They were so successful that most people sincerely believe that men have walked on the moon  despite the fact that it is logically impossible. So the communist film industry faked their "survey missions" in order not to lose face.

That is how consensus tends to dominate and suppress the truth.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2015 01:23:19 by alancalverd »

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07/07/2015 23:29:58 »
Of course, the orbiter photos which show all the debris left on the moon are faked as well, so we are back to square one.  All we need now is for someone to provide the co-ordinates for square one and we will know where we are. 

BTW, Pete, I thought the photos were good,  but if you had wanted to keep conspiracy theorists out of the thread, why not ask: “What do you think of these photos?”

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/07/2015 23:51:19 »
Science itself is a conspiracy. Don't you know that Bill? There are shed loads of scientists conspiring every day. They gather together in groups, surreptitiously picking apart the very universe itself. Where will it end?? And nobody even complains about it. Where are the conspiracy theorists when you really need them?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08/07/2015 00:47:37 »
Of course, the orbiter photos which show all the debris left on the moon are faked as well, so we are back to square one.  All we need now is for someone to provide the co-ordinates for square one and we will know where we are. 

BTW, Pete, I thought the photos were good,  but if you had wanted to keep conspiracy theorists out of the thread, why not ask: “What do you think of these photos?”
Ethos made a great point to me recently about how some people aren't interested in the truth, just their own theories. So any evidence that is inconsistent with their theory will be claimed to be fraudulent.

What I get a real kick out of is the fact that it'd be extremely easy to show that rockets work in a vacuum. All one has to do is find a room that has concrete walls and that'd be easy to cut off from any air flow. Then the entire room could me made into a vacuum chamber. If an Estes rocket engine doesn't require oxygen to burn then the engine could be ignited and these nuts could watch for themselves how the engine scoots off. Of course they'd have to have a window in one of the walls in order to watch. The amount of gas that's shot out of the engine wouldn't raise the pressure in the room my a significant amount. But has any one of them tried it? Nope? Why not? They could win a Nobel prize in physics for it and be the one to prove that all rockets and satellites are a fraud and be world famous.

Funny how they can't explain how they get satellite TV that requires using a satellite dish that points in one direction in the sky all the time, huh? All they'd have to do is talk to their friends across the world and measure the direction that the signal is coming from. They could then triangulate the position of the source of the signal. Do any of them do that? Nope! I wonder why?  [^]

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08/07/2015 22:15:51 »
As a follower of Hare Krishna I know from the shastra that the moon is further away than the Sun, so it's impossible for them to have landed on the moon, so I wish NASA would stop this hoax.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08/07/2015 23:45:44 »

Funny how they can't explain how they get satellite TV that requires using a satellite dish that points in one direction in the sky all the time, huh? All they'd have to do is talk to their friends across the world and measure the direction that the signal is coming from. They could then triangulate the position of the source of the signal. Do any of them do that? Nope! I wonder why?  [^]

Because it was eating of the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge that caused all the trouble in the first place. 

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09/07/2015 00:59:00 »
Quote from: wolfekeeper
As a follower of Hare Krishna I know from the shastra that the moon is further away than the Sun, so it's impossible for them to have landed on the moon, so I wish NASA would stop this hoax.
What is "shastra"? I'm going to assume its some sort of scripture for the moment.

If that's what the shastra says then it's not literally correct. Perhaps its merely a story meant to make a point. The book of Genesis in the Bible was taken as fact by Christians for hundreds and hundreds of years. Then science came along and demonstrated with near certainty that 6 days of creation story and other things can't be taken literally. The Vatican finally admitted to this in the 20th century. The reason they did this is because they were being rational and logical. Theologians, contrary to popular belief, aren't idiots. They're highly educated people who know a good deal about what they're talking, especially about philosophy. Some are even well versed in logic. And logic dictates that when observation dictates that something, which logically can have only two values (e.g. true or false, further or closer etc), is valid then the opposite is invalid. That means that since careful observation and extremely well tested theory tells us that the Moon is closer than the Sun then the claim that the Sun is closer than the Moon is false. If your belief told you that then your belief system needs adjustment. You can't take it to be literally true if that's what it claims so it only be taken as a story told to make a point, just like the creation story of Genesis.

That's the way it is with all belief systems. Religion is no different.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09/07/2015 01:15:28 »

Because it was eating of the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge that caused all the trouble in the first place.
Actually it began a little earlier than that Alan. Giving audience to the deceiver and trusting his lies was the source of all our troubles. But seriously, many people would prefer to believe those things which give them cerebral comfort rather than the evidence which brings insight into our physical reality.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09/07/2015 01:15:50 »
wonder how spaceship stays warm.

isn't in space, heat will radiate out from the ship very fast?

or the sun keeps warm up the facing/light side of the ship?

or the ship generate heat inside?

if we put a hot rock in space, how fast it cools down to 4 K?

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09/07/2015 03:17:11 »
Quote from: wolfekeeper
What is "shastra"? I'm going to assume its some sort of scripture for the moment.

If that's what the shastra says then it's not literally correct. Perhaps its merely a story meant to make a point. The book of Genesis in the Bible was taken as fact by Christians for hundreds and hundreds of years. Then science came along and demonstrated with near certainty that 6 days of creation story and other things can't be taken literally. The Vatican finally admitted to this in the 20th century. The reason they did this is because they were being rational and logical. Theologians, contrary to popular belief, aren't idiots. They're highly educated people who know a good deal about what they're talking, especially about philosophy. Some are even well versed in logic. And logic dictates that when observation dictates that something, which logically can have only two values (e.g. true or false, further or closer etc), is valid then the opposite is invalid. That means that since careful observation and extremely well tested theory tells us that the Moon is closer than the Sun then the claim that the Sun is closer than the Moon is false. If your belief told you that then your belief system needs adjustment. You can't take it to be literally true if that's what it claims so it only be taken as a story told to make a point, just like the creation story of Genesis.

That's the way it is with all belief systems. Religion is no different.
The main point is, that they cannot go to the moon. So, for us, numbers may not be so important, important is the message. No, our conclusion should be that one should simply accept the Vedic version, and should not be interested in personally delving into astronomical arguments in detail.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09/07/2015 04:18:35 »
I know from the shastra that the moon is further away than the Sun,
If that were true, how does one explain the Solar eclipse where the Moon finds itself between the Earth and the Sun?

I'm not usually so blunt regarding member comments but to this crock of crap, I must exclaim: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted here at our forum!"
« Last Edit: 09/07/2015 04:20:29 by Ethos_ »

Offline diethyl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09/07/2015 09:32:47 »
 :-\Although almost confused, I still believe that the original theory is correct

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09/07/2015 11:46:45 »
wonder how spaceship stays warm.

isn't in space, heat will radiate out from the ship very fast?
Insulation - like on houses, caravans and aeroplanes.

or the sun keeps warm up the facing/light side of the ship?
Some spacecraft are designed to rotate with different coloured panels facing the sun/shadow to maintain an even internal temperature.

or the ship generate heat inside?
Yes, especially if it contains living people.

if we put a hot rock in space, how fast it cools down to 4 K?
depends on its surface emissivity and surface/volume ratio.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 09/07/2015 11:46:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums