The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I delete unwanted files  (Read 2275 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How do I delete unwanted files
« on: 07/07/2015 07:23:10 »
After a system update one is left with a large block of unwanted files labelled Windows.old if one wishes to reduce the amount of stored data to use expensive SSD drives it is desirable to get rid of this.
No normal method of deletion works I have tried using Linux that only relabels it as $recycle which does not show up in windows but can be viewed with CMD but not deleted ! 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do I delete unwanted files
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2015 08:33:11 »
... After a system update one is left with a large block of unwanted files labelled Windows.old ... No normal method of deletion works

Even "old" [i.e. defunct ] Windows system files are protected from deletion.
You need to "take ownership" of them before they can be deleted , see ...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

"Windows.old" may have your personal "User" data in it : documents , photos , music , bookmarks etc.  For that reason I suggest you make a copy of "Windows.old" onto an external drive before you delete it from your SSD.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2015 08:46:58 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2015 22:03:55 »
The problem solved its self in a way the drive gave up the ghost so I had to start scratch but I have archived your solution and will use it next time

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/07/2015 05:20:54 »
In the past I have used this [free] program which automates the taking-ownership and deleting process ... https://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin/

"Warning: Please use caution with FileASSASSIN as deleting critical system files may cause system errors".

[ Usually there is a good-reason you are not permitted to delete a particular file ].
« Last Edit: 12/07/2015 05:22:31 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2015 06:46:21 »
Both systems work well for getting rid of single files but seem to little use for getting rid of large blocks of unwanted data, after another system update I now have 30Gb of unwanted stuff !
As there is a fair amount of spare capacity the only problem it causes is if I run an anti virus program it wastes time checking thru these 30Gb of files but the only way out that I can visualise is to copy off everything but these 30Gb, format and copy back a rather long winded process.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2015 20:31:49 by syhprum »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2015 18:47:01 »
The answer it is not high tech there is a built in facility called disk clean accessed from C drive/properties that does the job, all that is required is that the unwanted folder is correctly labelled and directly on the C drive

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2015 18:47:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums