The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we grow Botox?  (Read 962 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can we grow Botox?
« on: 09/07/2015 00:50:01 »
Malcolm Reid asked the Naked Scientists:
My inquiry relates to microbial toxins, specifically those produced by the Clostridium Botulinum bacterium. I note that these neurotoxins possess DNA. Does that mean that they are living organisms capable of self-replication?

If they are living organisms containing self-replicating DNA, does that mean that scientists with the same advanced capabilities as those already demonstrated by the J. Craig Venter Institute could, synthesize the DNA of, say, one of the Botulinum Neurotoxins in a laboratory and then implant that harvested genome into a bacterial membrane of another Neurotoxin and then cause them to replicate and grow?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 09/07/2015 00:50:01 by _system »

Offline diethyl

• View Profile
Re: Can we grow Botox?
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2015 09:45:08 »
Seems possible, it will be lady's gospel

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2015 13:40:52 »
I don't think that the toxin itself contains DNA, but the bacteria that produce it do. One could figure out which gene(s) is (are) responsible for the production of botox, and put them into another microbe (maybe people have already figured this out, I don't know)

But why? We already have a microbe that produces botox in large amounts, and is fairly easy to cultivate (where do you think botox comes from now?)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2015 13:40:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums