The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Environmentally friendly holidays  (Read 19343 times)

Offline lgic

• View Profile
Environmentally friendly holidays
« on: 17/11/2006 20:10:21 »
Al Gore and high fuel prices are making me think green for the holidays. Would you consider airing some information on environmentally friendly travel? feasting and celebrating? gift-giving?

Offline jeg29

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Environmentally friendly holidays
« Reply #1 on: 19/11/2006 08:55:59 »
The only thing I can pass on is INFO for  saving energy on Christmas shopping.  I live in Hawaii and I can do all my Christmas shopping with so many more choices than I'd ever get by shopping here at the tourist level or anywhere else , get Super Saver Shipping for FREE. I've looked at so many different shops and stores and can't help but pass on what a terrific site Amazon is. I even sent my family in Scotland things that I'd never consider before. using Amazon.UK. No shipping charges. I'm sorry but you just can't beat that!  Happy Holidays!

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2006 18:55:11 »
Environmentally friendly gift giving - Freecycle (www.freecycle.org) springs immediately to mind! This is where one 'gifts' unwanted items for free in order to keep them out of the landfill. After all, one (wo)man's rubbish is another (wo)man's treasure!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/11/2006 13:16:40 »
I really like that idea. I think it is a wonderful way to help the enviornment and its kind of fun at the same time! I would like to run a shop (no profit)That was set up soley for donations of unbroken or damaged items you are just tired of. Things anyone can just come in and exchange or pick up! Like an gift exchange, no charge! That would be really cool!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: 28/11/2006 15:14:50 »
No-charge would be challenging as shop rents/taxes/wages are by no means small...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/11/2006 15:23:05 »
Yeah, I would have to be rich and completely self sufficient no worries of money.. It will never happen.. I wish someone out there with the means and motivation would do that as I think it would be one of the nicest things a person could do for another.. Sharing is so wonderful!

As you said their are alot of other things to consider when you endeavor to do such a thing. There would be a liability factor too.. Someone would put up a stink because it would take away from their business and require people to spend alot less money then they would normally spend! It's a shame though it would be great!

« Last Edit: 29/11/2006 21:31:28 by Karen W. »

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/11/2006 21:57:33 »
The beauty of Freecycle is that it's all done over the web/e-mail, and run locally by volunteers. I admit to an 'interest' here as I'm a moderator on my local Freecycle group.

Environmentally friendly travel - how about bicycles (or tricycles even), or even shanks' pony (ie hiking holidays)?

There are also some schemes for off-setting carbon footprints of travel by planting trees.

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 29/11/2006 17:14:41 »
Environmentally friendly travel - how about bicycles (or tricycles even), or even shanks' pony (ie hiking holidays)?

The basic message being that travel is 'environmentally unfriendly', and the less of it you do (i.e. Using slow means of travel means less travel) then the more 'environmentally friendly' you are.

I would imagine that walking 1000 miles would still use up a fair amount of resources, but few people would do that, and the usage will be at a slower rate (i.e. It would take about a month do consume, rather than a couple of hours by aeroplane), and much of those resources would anyway have been consumed by whatever you did in that month (i.e. The mere act of living consumes resources).

There are also some schemes for off-setting carbon footprints of travel by planting trees.

Not at all sure that trees really do all that is claimed for them in terms of carbon footprint (it is a very complex equation clearly, as the trees grows, it does consume carbon, but once it is mature, that is another matter).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29/11/2006 21:36:24 »
I love the idea of horse and buggy! We have had several horses over the years and they are fantastic.. I could tell you stories!! LOL they are great! Wonderful spirited animals!

I like the idea of your group... do you have a link you could email me Gaia?

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29/11/2006 22:05:36 »
I love the idea of horse and buggy! We have had several horses over the years and they are fantastic.. I could tell you stories!! LOL they are great! Wonderful spirited animals!

I like the idea of your group... do you have a link you could email me Gaia?

www.freecycle.org then go to your country (it's international) and find your local group.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/11/2006 23:12:54 »
cool Thanks Jen!

Offline lgic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13/12/2006 17:15:06 »
Ok, I have now come up with two answers for my own question.

One is to bring my own shopping bags or tote bags when I shop. Cuts down on the trash I have to take out, and the trash that goes in the landfill.

The other is a gift idea. I've been pleased with compact fluorescent light bulbs in all my light fixtures except the reading lamps. So I'm giving these bulbs to a number of friends and family this year. If more people try them, maybe more people will switch to them.

Other ideas?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17/12/2006 21:00:41 »
THey are great ideas which we already use hear! I like to make my own paper with my paper that I get that is junk mail ect, even news print will work! I just put it in the blender and add water and sometimes grass clippings for a nice color. Then blend away. When I have it thouroughly mixed, I pour it onto a cut out screen and spread it evenly as I pour. I put it in the sun to allow drying and some bleaching to occur depending on what kind of paper I was using. Some news prints come out pretty gray, but mostly you can use the sun to lighten it. I had a friend who added a bit of bleach to her mix water to whiten the paper that way.. then when dryed you can pull it off the screen and use it to make cards or write letters, hand written . if you are careful and build your screen right you can make printer size paper and carefuly use your printer to make beautiful letters using some amazing lovely fonts!!

jolly

« Reply #13 on: 03/03/2007 20:22:06 »
Why not a job swap holiday where certain companies agree to, they let employees swap with each other, but they earn their normal wage and as neither company losses an employee they still keep their holiday allowance.

A change is as good as a break and all that. That way people could have a sort of holiday but not and still learn about the world and stuff.
Dosnt have to be in the same country, but you'd need a safer less damaging form of transport-trains (probably the best depending on how they make there electricity).

Then you could get away from it all without getting away from it all. While also taking new skills back to your own company. There are already eco-holidays.

Why not a collect litter in your local neibourhood holiday or beach cleaning holiday, or go to africa/third world and teach/clean/build holiday.
How about a live your normal life but for one week live as enviromentally sound as possible holiday.

Hunger strike holiday where you remain in bed and dont do anything therefore you dont affect anything holiday.

Dont breath thing where you save up all your breaths in bottles and then for one week use them up.lol sorry holiday.

How about a completely eco-unfriendly holiday where you go around squashing ants and throwing rubbish at your neibours!

Just thinking anyone stupid enought to go- on it! Would get fined or go to prison. That would help surely!
« Last Edit: 06/05/2007 22:28:14 by jolly »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 03/03/2007 20:22:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length