The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Earth mass displacement.  (Read 631 times)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Earth mass displacement.
« on: 11/07/2015 11:04:21 »
According to an article I read the earth's orbit around the sun is becoming unstable, I suggest this is an effect we are experiencing by earth mass displacement, the polar regions melting, causing oceans to rise, a displacement of mass from the poles over the circumference of the planet.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Earth mass displacement.
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2015 19:31:18 »
I don't think that the Earth's orbit around the sun is in any danger of degrading until well after the sun has expanded...

And if there were a problem with our orbit, it would not have anything to do with reorganization of matter on the surface (or anywhere within) the Earth. To first approximation, the orbit isn't a function of anything other than the total mass of the Earth, the total mass of the Sun, the distance between the two and how fast the Earth is moving relative to the Sun. Moving mass around on the Earth changes none of those things...

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2015 19:36:35 »
It is necessary for the continuation of politics and religion that people be afraid. Please do not attempt to rationalise on this subject, or we will have unemployed priests and politicians roaming the streets trying to justify their existence.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2015 19:36:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length