The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a woman rape a man?  (Read 24256 times)

Offline roberth

• View Profile
Re: Can a woman rape a man?
« Reply #25 on: 16/04/2004 06:38:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by MayoFlyFarmer

I always had one problem with saying rape is a crime about power and not sex.  While I agree with this, I have to add that isn't all sex about power to some extent??

Lift your skinny fists, like antennas to hevan!

Sorry Mayo, but I disagree. Sex is about enjoying someone's physical presence with mutual pleasure, contentment and respect. Having physical fantasies fulfilled, stress and tension released and just plain fun are more the qualities of sex than anything to do with power trips. Well, it is with me, anyway.

BTW, do you have a spell checker on your computer? Some of your posts are difficult to decipher!
« Last Edit: 16/04/2004 06:43:52 by roberth »

Offline christianchick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16/04/2004 13:30:43 »
rape is forcing someone to do a sexual activity when they simply do not want to, if they do not want to be raped(which i am sure they don't) they probably aren't going to get very excited about it, the fact is the woman sexually violated the man without his consent and taht my friend is rape:)

Greetings in Christ Jesus my Lord

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #27 on: 17/04/2004 09:13:18 »
I'm sorry if my spelling cornfuses you.  its always been horrible, and my typing skills don't help matters any.  No spell checker, sorry.  I don't think its too bad in this thread though, is it??
To reply to your comment I agree with everything that you say that sex is, but part of what lets you enjoy the presence of your partner is the intamacy of the act (otherwise you could just enjoy the presence of your partner while cleaning the bathroom together).  I think that a great deal of what makes sex such an intimate act is how vulnerable you are to eachother.  To me the opposite of vulnerability is power.  So in essence you are both enjoying power over one another.  Although in an ideal situation this should balance out.  I hope this logic works at least somewhat.  I knew that by just stating that all sex was about power I left myself open to criticism (and probably cmae off sounding really creepy) but I wanted to see what responses it drew.

Lift your skinny fists, like antennas to hevan!

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20/04/2004 16:02:35 »
"rape is forcing someone to do a sexual activity when they simply do not want to, if they do not want to be raped(which i am sure they don't) they probably aren't going to get very excited about it, the fact is the woman sexually violated the man without his consent and taht my friend is rape:)"

Christian Chick - rape is to do with penetration in this country, it's not simply forcing someone to do something sexual they don't want to.
Not all sexual activities involve penetration. so a woman can't rape a man unless she can force him to penetrate her without his consent. That's the issue....some really interesting replies to this post!

I did well in my essay in the end although I was a bit irritated by my examiners comment that the issue of whether a woman can rape a man is not relevant to consent. The current law surely implies that men alway consent to sex with a woman, something your replies show needs to be seriously questioned. (but I still got a distinction so I didn't care too much about that comment :D)

"Crushing truths perish by being acknowledged." Albert Camus

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20/04/2004 23:06:41 »
Claire- Jeez, I should have saved that electrical stimulation mpeg, and sent it to your examiner. It might give him pause about his parochial views on rape.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22/04/2004 04:58:29 »
I gather the examiner who made the comment is male.  If he thinks being raped has nothing to do with (lack of) consent, then he's never been raped.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #31 on: 22/04/2004 08:29:30 »
Yeah, he needs a damn good nobbing !

C

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22/04/2004 11:15:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Yeah, he needs a damn good nobbing !

C

LOL!!!
Good'ay Chris

"Crushing truths perish by being acknowledged." Albert Camus

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22/04/2004 20:05:46 »
Okay Chris, you get the broom and I'll pin him down!;)

drkev

« Reply #34 on: 14/05/2004 15:10:22 »
The legal definition of rape is sexual intercourse without a person's consent. In the UK it is (quite wrongly) impossible for a Woman to rape a man. An erection can be forced with drugs etc or if the guy is drunk with an erection and does not consent to sex if the woman climbs on is this not rape???

If a woman is drunk and a male has sex with her this is technically rape. It would appear that if the woman does not say the words "I give you permission to have sex with me" then the male has raped her. I have researched this extensively and have found the following: If a woman changes her mind during sex, the male has raped her.<<< FACT

If you are out clubbing and you meet a young lady who is performing sexual behaviour and imlpying she wants sex (you can use your imagination) then the guy is quite right to assume she wants sex especially if she comes back to his house and gets naked in his bed. But, if she wakes up the next morning and regrets it she can quite rightly claim he raped her.

Not fair is it when have you ever asked permission for sex??? or do you just do it?

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14/05/2004 21:11:47 »
I have often said "Regrets is not rape.", precisely because of the scenario you have given. I do not believe that consent has to be verbal, however, although I cannot speak with authority about British law. Whether consent was given non-verbally, (e.g. she's climbing all over you) or "May I **** you now?" is answered with "Certainly!", without witnesses, one is not able to prove one was given consent. Perhaps a written form, a contract, is in order. I imagine it should be notarized. Of course, that does not guarantee she won't change her mind.

drkev

« Reply #36 on: 15/05/2004 03:35:50 »
unfortunately there is no such thing as implied consent there have been cases where people have been prosecuted because climbing all over someone is not consenting to sex

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15/05/2004 15:20:03 »
Hey, I like the idea of a written contract.  But then, if he's a dud in bed, can I sue him for breach of contract?

drkev

« Reply #38 on: 15/05/2004 18:02:57 »
can i sue my ex for giving me an STD then?

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15/05/2004 20:37:41 »
I don't know about the UK, but over here you can sue anyone for anything, and, because we are an equal opportunity country, you have an equal chance of winning.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16/05/2004 19:07:39 »
Yep, in the states you could.  I remember Robin Williams got sued for giving his girlfriend herpes.  Don't know the outcome of the suit though.

Offline pink_person

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30/12/2004 21:01:51 »
"But, if she wakes up the next morning and regrets it she can quite rightly claim he raped her."

That's about as dum as me eating a bunch of happy meals, and then after I'm fat, sue McDonald's because I regret having eaten them.

drkev the goverment may accept it but I don't think it makes things right.  If you regret doing it you still weren't raped since you consented until the action was complete.  Since rape is the force of penetration, and the penetration was not forced, how is it rape?

Pink

Offline pink_person

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30/12/2004 21:09:11 »
"Christian Chick - rape is to do with penetration in this country, it's not simply forcing someone to do something sexual they don't want to.
Not all sexual activities involve penetration. so a woman can't rape a man unless she can force him to penetrate her without his consent. That's the issue....some really interesting replies to this post!"

Is that not possible?

Pink

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #42 on: 30/12/2004 21:09:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums