The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: how does our soul know where to go?  (Read 11193 times)

Offline genius91

• View Profile
how does our soul know where to go?
« on: 26/11/2006 18:52:45 »
i have recently read a book "the lucifer code" and its all about capturing souls. A lot of question came popping into my mind like can we see where its going or can we capture a soul and above all what is a soul? i know its stupid but it on keeps coming into my mind.

Ps I know im no genius haha but i wish i was one  ;)
« Last Edit: 26/11/2006 19:02:48 by genius91 »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: how does our soul know where to go?
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2006 19:37:07 »
Hi genius91.

Welcome to the site.

Wish I could help you here but this topic is out of my purview of believability and so I think you have chosen the right place to put it.

If you do not get sufficient answers here I can recommend two other sites where I believe you will get definite answers.

good luck and enjoy the site.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2006 22:33:51 »
Here is what wikiup says, I hope I did this right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul

Offline genius91

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/11/2006 15:55:23 »
thank you very much neilep and Karen.W

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/11/2006 21:50:35 »
genius91 your question presupposes a belief in the existence of a soul, this itself is not a scientifically proven fact/entity/etc but does lead to philosophical enquiry.

Offline Heliotrope

• View Profile
    • http://www.davethedrummer.com
« Reply #5 on: 29/11/2006 21:23:38 »
genius91 your question presupposes a belief in the existence of a soul, this itself is not a scientifically proven fact/entity/etc but does lead to philosophical enquiry.

Precisely.

Establish that there IS a soul before wondering where it goes.
Otherwise you're just spending the lottery money you haven't won.
The horse goes in front of the cart.

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/12/2006 21:21:12 »
I cannot even express how glad I am to have found this thread.
I have been thinking about souls a lot lately.
Personally, I don't think souls exist... but when I had discussions about this, I never really had any knowledge or information to backup what I was saying.  I just thought everything a person did was controlled by their brain and chemical impulses things like that, and I had a teacher who brought up a very good point which made me think this way.  He mentioned how drugs can duplicate so many feelings- so how can souls exist? Ecstasy can make you feel love for example.  Mushrooms, cocaine, there are so many drugs that can alter feelings...and who is to classify them as pseudo or not just because it is a "drug."  How can a soul exist, if something synthetic can do this?

Well the wikipedia article did help a lot.
Plato's idea seemed a bit far-fetched (that was more the spiritual aspect of a soul), whereas Artistotle was a bit more realistic with the "essence" of something being it's soul.  I love how he can give a knife, with a soul of cutting as an example. I thought that was great.
(Haha, I don't think I have a problem being open-minded to some religions, I just think other people with these religions, have a problem being open-minded to beliefs and theories they're too naive to accept. Sorry, I am quite the liberal!)- but if you think a person has a soul, then why doesn't a plant?
I think I can be a happy atheist and go  by Aristotle's view :]

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/12/2006 16:54:30 »
Christians hold that the soul, is the mind, will and emotions. Even athiests sometimes have near death experiences that involve noticing time go by in darkness.

The soul needs rely on a power to take it when it is disembodied, one with power more than death's. A Way out. Life giving power. We christians believe it is Jesus. Way from hell to heaven, earth to heaven, life giver. Judging us by commands like not stealing, coveting, adultering... And Jesus afforded the cost to give us mercy and life...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/12/2006 22:46:44 »
Bren..what's the difference between the Soul and The Spirit ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/12/2006 23:08:31 »
Hi, I know I am not Bren, but Thought I might poke my head in here at this point again!

To Me my soul is what will live on after I have long since passed itís the part of me that I leave behind in all those I touch and All those who touch me. It is the heart of me that remains strong in those I love and treasured in my heart and those that held me close in theirs! To Live on immortally in that manner!

The spirit I believe to be much the same as the soul, having the inner most thoughts of ones existence and traits which are carried on through the transactions of love and giving and emotions.
« Last Edit: 21/12/2006 19:32:36 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/12/2006 23:54:22 »
Thank you Karen mam..

me thinks me understands......it's all way out of my realm of course but thank you.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/12/2006 00:02:58 »
AHH< you thinks its out of your realm but love is not out of anyones realm....We all give it recieve it and need it.. It is the part of us that remains with those we love and touch in our lives that part of us that lives forever!

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: 21/12/2006 18:33:47 »
AHH< you thinks its out of your realm but love is not out of anyones realm....We all give it recieve it and need it.. It is the part of us that remains with those we love and touch in our lives that part of us that lives forever!

Not if you're a hermit  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21/12/2006 18:48:24 »

What has love got to do with the spirit and the soul ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21/12/2006 18:56:33 »
Its a part of us that helps us develop and build our minds, Its part of the corner stones of our learning.. Its what we teach our children and eventually helps guide us through our lives, some  do not ever have alot of love but they have spirit and soul as we all do. I am just saying that it is an integeral part of what makes us all human and unique, I think there are alot more aspects to spirit and soul many others believe much differently.. But Mine is just one opinion in many..

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/12/2006 19:53:44 »
Its a part of us that helps us develop and build our minds, Its part of the corner stones of our learning.. Its what we teach our children and eventually helps guide us through our lives, some  do not ever have alot of love but they have spirit and soul as we all do. I am just saying that it is an integeral part of what makes us all human and unique, I think there are alot more aspects to spirit and soul many others believe much differently.. But Mine is just one opinion in many..

Thnk you Karen mam..this helps alot.

hugs

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21/12/2006 20:07:52 »
I hope You understand mine is only my opinion, not from a religous point of veiw! Nothing more, just personal, that's all!
« Last Edit: 21/12/2006 20:54:40 by Karen W. »

Offline 4getmenot

• Life is one big adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30/12/2006 17:48:29 »
I cannot even express how glad I am to have found this thread.
I have been thinking about souls a lot lately.
Personally, I don't think souls exist... but when I had discussions about this, I never really had any knowledge or information to backup what I was saying.  I just thought everything a person did was controlled by their brain and chemical impulses things like that, and I had a teacher who brought up a very good point which made me think this way.  He mentioned how drugs can duplicate so many feelings- so how can souls exist? Ecstasy can make you feel love for example.  Mushrooms, cocaine, there are so many drugs that can alter feelings...and who is to classify them as pseudo or not just because it is a "drug."  How can a soul exist, if something synthetic can do this?

Well the wikipedia article did help a lot.
Plato's idea seemed a bit far-fetched (that was more the spiritual aspect of a soul), whereas Artistotle was a bit more realistic with the "essence" of something being it's soul.  I love how he can give a knife, with a soul of cutting as an example. I thought that was great.
(Haha, I don't think I have a problem being open-minded to some religions, I just think other people with these religions, have a problem being open-minded to beliefs and theories they're too naive to accept. Sorry, I am quite the liberal!)- but if you think a person has a soul, then why doesn't a plant?
I think I can be a happy atheist and go  by Aristotle's view :]

I would agree with yo completely....plants are alive and they say everything is connected..so yeah, why not a plant??

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #18 on: 31/12/2006 14:52:27 »
What is a soul.
What is the definition of a soul.
Is there actually such a thing.
Is it all make believe like 'The Chronicles of Narnia'
Is actually possible to accurately define what a soul is if indeed their is one, and if its not possible to define what a soul is how do we know what it can or cant do.

As soul surfer would say it probably follows the waves.

Offline AlphBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01/03/2007 00:13:26 »
This is an interesting notion... define Soul sentient's Life force, Personality anyway it would have to be (on the evidence we have) formed in utero same as plants fish, etc so a lot of arriving and leaving on a daily basis, wonder if plants etc mostly die on The Wolf hour?
Reincarnation or just good old Bloodline.

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24/04/2007 16:35:20 »
I think God guides your soul toward where it's supposed to go. i.e. Hell or Heaven, and nothing can stop it, no matter what earthly books tell you.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #20 on: 24/04/2007 16:35:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums