The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could a viral blood test identify the cause of M.E.?  (Read 781 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Gina Cuthbert asked the Naked Scientists:
I heard Dr. Smith talking about 'Your Health going Viral' and would appreciate if you could advise if this blood test will help with identifying the cause of M.E.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 27/07/2015 20:50:01 by _system »

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
Re: Could a viral blood test identify the cause of M.E.?
« Reply #1 on: 27/07/2015 21:54:30 »
Do you want to know what causes it or how to ameliorate the symptoms?

This paper was described in "This Week in Virology # 345, just last May...

B-Lymphocyte Depletion in Myalgic Encephalopathy/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. An Open-Label Phase II Study with Rituximab Maintenance Treatment

Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a disease of unknown etiology. We previously reported a pilot case series followed by a small, randomized, placebo-controlled phase II study, suggesting that B-cell depletion using the monoclonal anti-CD20 antibody rituximab can yield clinical benefit in ME/CFS.

In a subgroup of ME/CFS patients, prolonged B-cell depletion with rituximab maintenance infusions was associated with sustained clinical responses. The observed patterns of delayed responses and relapse after B-cell depletion and regeneration, a three times higher disease prevalence in women than in men, and a previously demonstrated increase in B-cell lymphoma risk for elderly ME/CFS patients, suggest that ME/CFS may be a variant of an autoimmune disease.

This paper suggests that you are sick because after the original triggering virus was beaten off the B cells of your humoral immunity never demobbed and your symptoms are caused by THEM.

Good luck, I remember that month or so after Linda gave me mono and the cough had stopped. That was STILL a real dog fight. If I had remained at general quarters  for years.....Ugh!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Could a viral blood test identify the cause of M.E.?
« Reply #1 on: 27/07/2015 21:54:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums