The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you block pain with electricity?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you block pain with electricity?
« on: 06/08/2015 12:50:02 »
Paul asked the Naked Scientists:

I hurt my toe or my finger and my brain knows from whence the pain is coming. If I wore an electrical collar, could I intercept those signals and interpret them? I once had the idea of putting on a body suit covered in sensors which could pick up pain signals and determine that they were coming from your stomach or appendix or wherever and thereby speed up the prognosis and treatment of a patient. This is based on an assumption that pain is transmitted by electrical.

When an appendix bursts, is the pain signal to the brain any different to that sent prior to it bursting, or just more intense?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 06/08/2015 12:50:02 by _system »

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
Re: Can you block pain with electricity?
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2015 18:46:19 »
Before I retired, I worked as a "Return to work" case management RN for a workers compensation insurance firm. The money was good and you didn't have to get your hands up under those icky sheets.

We loved the "Transdermal electrical nerve stimulator" (TENS), because the patient tended not to go scampering off to a surgeon and get a minor, self limiting problem turned into a tragic and life long disabling case of "failed back syndrome".

Often the patient even reported that it lessened his back pain.

PS: Unless you have an incompetent anal sphincter or frank signs of muscle atrophy I recommend that you avoid any surgeon who tells you that he can cut the boo-boo out of your spine and you'll be back on the tennis court toot sweet.  I have seen things ... terrible things...

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2015 08:15:41 »
Nope.

My old sergeant taught me how to lift and turn patients without lunching my back.

Howsomever, I once slept on a linoleum floor without a pad and I am well aware of how debilitating an outraged back can be.

Be that as it may, I am of Scottish descent and so I dinna fash over a wee bit of back pain  -- certainly not enough to lay out good money for a TENS unit like some sassenach jessie.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2015 13:49:34 »
... life long disabling case of "failed back syndrome"... I recommend that you avoid any surgeon who tells you that he can cut the boo-boo out of your spine and you'll be back on the tennis court toot sweet.

No "failed back surgeon", only "failed back syndrome".

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/08/2015 18:05:21 »
They aren't "failed back surgeons". They get paid don't they -- whatever the outcome?

The hospital gets paid, the staff gets paid.

It isn't a loss to THEM.

How about they pay US when they screw up?

To encourage them and the others to use only evidence based medicine.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 11/08/2015 18:05:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums