The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Which plants can I grow in my bedroom?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Which plants can I grow in my bedroom?
« on: 07/08/2015 10:50:02 »
pooja singh asked the Naked Scientists:

Which plants can I grow in my bed room?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 07/08/2015 10:50:02 by _system »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Which plants can I grow in my bedroom?
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/2015 11:34:04 »
It rather depends on a number of factors.
Where do you live?
How big is your bedroom?
What is the aspect of your bedroom windows?
Do you want a flowering plant or just leaf?

Almost any plant can be pot grown and kept as a house plant. The main things to remember are not to overwater, humidity, light levels (many 'house' plants do not like direct sunlight) and air circulation (drafts can be damaging).

Another consideration is how much time do you want to spend on the care of your plant. A Christmas Cactus requires little attention, but a bonsai tree requires a good deal of attention.

African Violet is a popular house plant which will not get too big, but these do not like their leaves getting wet, so must be watered by immersing the pot in a saucer so the water can be absorbed through the drainage hole.

For something much bigger and more exotic, the Bird of Paradise plant is a real beauty.

Peace Lilly is a medium sized plant which can tolerate lower light levels, but good light will produce the desirable white spathes which this plant is grown for.

For leaf interest, the Boston Fern is a winner. It does require high humidity. Keep the pot surrounded by wet gravel and mist regularly.

If you have the room for a climber, Bougainvillea (Paper Plant) is a stunner. Although not technically a flowering plant, it has bright coloured mauve bracts in profusion during the summer & autumn. Requires high humidity and a trellis to climb on.

You might like to visit the RHS web pages for house plants.

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2015 20:28:39 »

It is quite common for people to grow plants in their home in California. Mind you, mostly they aren't growing tomatoes - wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

There are easily a half dozen shops selling fancy setups that can have you up and running out of the box. within a mile of my house.

It is probably even more popular than brewing your own lager.
« Last Edit: 11/08/2015 20:32:33 by Pecos_Bill »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2015 20:28:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums