The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what do you think about animated contact lenses?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
what do you think about animated contact lenses?
« on: 13/08/2015 14:15:37 »

I have an Idea for a novelty invention which I believe is quite impressive and somewhat simple and cheap to archive. I have come up with a way to make animated contact lenses!

I came up with the Idea when I saw this invention on the internet.

https://www.google.com/patents/US6874888

It's apparently a kind of "polarized contact lens" Developed to basically be used to watch "3d TV" without the glasses, personally I don't foresee very many people lining up to get $100 polarized contacts just to watch TV, but I thought of another use for the technology.

This is how it would work in theory, you could buy "theatrical polarized contact lenses" with various designs of your choosing AND 1 of 3 different kinds of "special glasses"

The simplest glasses type would be 2 simple polarization lenses mounted on a frame which would rotate the lenses thus making the polarized contacts change transparency as the glasses lenses rotate which could reveal a pattern or color underneath the polarized film.  It's a pretty simple concept, But you don't need to physically rotate the gasses lenses for this effect to work, If you use LCD technology you can archive similar effects with out the need to actually rotate the lenses.

liquid crystal glasses Is the next kind of glasses you could use and it would look far less silly then rotating glasses lenses and would work better too. But these kinds of glasses are not like your computer screen, it's much simpler. More like those cheap LCD displays you see on calculators and alarm clocks like the picture below.

The glasses lenses would use a layer of liquid crystal inside the glass and nothing more. when you apply electricity to the lenses you can shift the polarization to archive the animation effect.

you could pulse the current and get a flashy effect or modulate the pulses to music, you can do some very interesting stuff with this.

The 3rd and and most complex glasses would be a lot like you computer screen with liquid crystal pixels that would allow you to do the highest level of animation on your eyes, unlike you computer screen which has colored sub pixels and back lighting as well as a lot of other components.  your glasses would only need the actual liquid crystals with the micro transistors.

These kinds of glasses could create effects like fire eyes, or matrix letters going down your eyes.

That's the idea in a nut shell.  I believe that if you put a uv phosphor behind the polarization film of the contact lenses then you could also put an UV led on the glasses to make your eyes glow as well as be animated.

But the 3rd type of glasses lenses would be very expensive and complex compared to the simple LCD type but I think it would be worth it in the end, if you wanted glowing animated MKultra eyes.

What do you guys think of this Idea?  Is such a thing possible?

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: what do you think about animated contact lenses?
« Reply #1 on: 18/08/2015 05:53:03 »
The idea sounds technically feasible, because most of the technology required has already been demonstrated.  Of course, a lot of work would have to be done to get it actually working.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2015 05:53:51 »
Also, you have to figure out how to do it within an acceptable consumer price.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2015 05:53:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums