The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do your genes affect your GCSE grades?  (Read 35466 times)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do your genes affect your GCSE grades?
« Reply #150 on: 19/09/2015 12:51:44 »
Of course we are aware of it.
It's not news.
It also has nothing much to do with the topic.(though I'm impressed with the progress that has been made since when I was a student because  they quote a relative imbalance of only 1 or 2 % and it was a lot worse than that).

Now, can you please try to actually answer the points that have been raised for example

OK, In five sentences (or less, if you like) please explain why the difference between the exam scores of identical twins is less than the difference between exam scores of fraternal twins.

Offline Franklin_Uhuru

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 19/09/2015 17:18:27 »
Kindly explain how  this interest in the genetic makeup of people in relation to GCSE scores is  innocent among persons of your character.

I mean the character of persons who upon hearing that "only" 70 colored people have been unjustly denied their rightful medical education per year  exclaim, "Hurrah for us!"

I mean the character of people who banished Pecos_Bill ( and continue to threaten me) for the "incivility" of questioning the motives of this paper and you people here.

Dr.  Plomin could have chosen any number of factors to compare these twins' performance, but he choose their GSCE scores because it was "convenient".

I am a Californian. I am  painfully aware of what Texans like Dr. Plomin regard as too often find  "convenient" in regards to people of color. Just yesterday in Irving they handcuffed a young muslim boy and dragged him off to jail for making a "bomb hoax". His English teacher had discovered a homebrew alarm clock as a science project when it beeped in his bag and screamed."It's a terrorist bomb!" They don't do that for white quarterbacks, Hoss.

So it isn't for me to show that Plomin's work and the naked scientists' fervid cheerleading here are discriminatory in sexism and racism.

Rather, show me that Plomin's motives . his "research" and the naked scientists intent are not motivated by racist and sexist ideological prejudice.
« Last Edit: 19/09/2015 17:30:04 by Franklin_Uhuru »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 19/09/2015 17:42:22 »
re. "Kindly explain how  this interest in the genetic makeup of people in relation to GCSE scores is  innocent among persons of your character."
Innocent till proven guilty.

Stop ignoring the question
OK, In five sentences (or less, if you like) please explain why the difference between the exam scores of identical twins is less than the difference between exam scores of fraternal twins.

Why not just admit that you can't answer the question.

Offline Franklin_Uhuru

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 19/09/2015 19:34:50 »
...He is not the jury, but the defending advocate.

I am the plaintiff, this is a class action which I am pleading,  and you readers are the jury.

Mr. Evan_au. Moderator,Sir !  Listen up! The next time you butcher one of my posts without having the decency to sign your name. I will take a copy of the original here and repost it in bold type to show the readers your true nature.
The web server always attaches the editor's name to the bottom of the post (unless the post adds zero value, and I elect to delete the whole thing) - Mod
« Last Edit: 20/09/2015 13:17:13 by evan_au »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 19/09/2015 20:31:23 »

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 19/09/2015 23:49:56 »
Quote from: Franklin_Uhuru
I am yet to hear how this mountain of genetic data will be kept out of secret government data bases in Britain or America.
You should assume by default that anything you say or do, and anywhere you go may be monitored by the NSA (for USA) or GCHQ (for UK), or their domestic equivalents. The only question is whether they choose to do anything with that information.

Talking to a PhD candidate, a raw genome occupies about 270 GBytes (he was working on plants; I'm not sure how that compares to humans). It takes a lot of work to stitch it together and analyze the significant parts of it. It's easier to wait until the PhD student (or twin-studies researcher) publishes his paper (and store that), rather than store the raw data.

So the main barrier to security agencies collecting all data is the storage capacity to deal with it, and the processing power to analyze it. Legal barriers have proven somewhat porous.

One thing is certain - using encrypted communications that cross national borders immediately attracts attention...

Offline Franklin_Uhuru

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 19/09/2015 23:53:18 »
In a separate thread of this forum, Readers, we discuss genetic "knockouts". This led to the question of whether the human race continues to evolve.

I speculate that the ability to recognize racist discrimination ... for its detriment to human survival is Darwinian evolution manifest before our eyes.

Quit the racist discrimination, already! Mod

Mr. Evan_au, Moderator, Sir. My use of the phrase "knuckle dragging throwbacks" CLEARLY applied to racists of all types - even Australians. NOT to Englishmen in particular. Which may lead the readers to wonder WHY you have assumed that it did. Why DID you assume that, Mister? And so blithely (and privily)  erase the whole paragraph? Play the man, Sir!

Describing anyone who doesn't agree with you (specifically those who are not of your country) as "knuckle dragging throwbacks" is a clear case of ad-hominem argument, and a racist mindset. It detracts from your argument about racism, and demeans you as a person. I attempted to preserve the morsel of logic in your post by editing out the insult. But to be honest, it is much easier for me to just delete the whole post when I see an offensive comment. Any attempt to restore material that has been deleted by a moderator will result in a ban. Moderator.

Members of the jury, consider what you have witnessed here in the light of my speculation. Because you had better hope that I am correct or a whole lot of people are doomed to die in food riots for the last sausage roll at Tesco.

As to Evan_au's fanciful idea that it is not feasible to collect this genetic data, he reckons innocently without consideration of Big Data tools like Hadoop, the advances in computer hardware, or the terrier like determination of the NSA spooks to get their mitts on total data access of everyone.
« Last Edit: 20/09/2015 13:27:10 by evan_au »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 20/09/2015 10:36:05 »

Rather, show me that Plomin's motives . his "research" and the naked scientists intent are not motivated by racist and sexist ideological prejudice.

Because Plomin is a US citizen, and as Pecos Bill clearly stated, they wouldn't stoop so low. 

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 20/09/2015 15:12:36 »
Yawn... did Franklin explain why the difference between the exam scores of identical twins is less than the difference between exam scores of fraternal twins yet?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 20/09/2015 17:25:59 »
I am a Californian. I am  painfully aware of what Texans like Dr. Plomin regard as too often find  "convenient" in regards to people of color.

Robert J. Plomin (born 1948 in Chicago, Illinois) is an American psychologist best known for his work in twin studies and behavior genetics.

Aha! Mystery resolved. We are talking about two completely different people, and two completely different papers! The Chicagoan professor now working in London was studying the differences between twins, who for the most part tend to be the same color.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 20/09/2015 17:37:10 »
It is not possible to broach the possibility that sexism and racism motivate the dogged insistence by the white men of this forum that Dr. Plomin's research is valid and a worthy expense for British tax-payers instead of research on cancer, multiple sclerosis, autism or what you will.

That is impossible because the "moderator" (for that is what he wants you to believe he is) will swoop in, butcher the text, and tell me to "quit with the racist slurs"
If you keep talking about "white men" then you will be keeping a record of your own racism and there won't be any argument about why you got banned will there?

« Last Edit: 21/09/2015 09:45:00 by evan_au »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #160 on: 20/09/2015 17:37:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums