The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could this mean a new force?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Could this mean a new force?
« on: 30/08/2015 17:21:36 »
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/subatomic-particles-appear-defy-standard-100950001.html#W4wF3Nr

This looks fascinating.  Thoughts from the experts would be appreciated.

Is this the same lepton universality break that BaBar thought they had discovered?

Online timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Could this mean a new force?
« Reply #1 on: 30/08/2015 17:40:57 »
Quote from link in post above:
"They looked at B meson decays including two types of leptons the tau lepton and the muon, both of which are highly unstable and decay within just a fraction of a second. The tau lepton and muon should decay at the same rate after mass differences are corrected. But the researchers found small but important differences in the predicted rates of decay."

Do you think that they 'might' consider that by correcting the mass differences, there 'may' be a time dilation factor that also needs to be corrected in order for these decay rates to correspond?

This would 'perhaps' explain this effect that they are observing.

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2015 20:23:17 »
I assume you are talking about gravitational time dilation, rather than that due to velocity.  At that scale, I wouldn't like to try to calculate that.  :)

http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/babar/BaBar-BtoDtaunu.aspx

I struggled with this when I first met it, and I still struggle, but I suspect the new results back this up.  Im looking for some expert opinions to confirm or negate this suspicion.

Online timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: 30/08/2015 21:27:50 »
Well, fact is the calculations are there already.  One would just take the mass related 'corrections' and correlate these to the discrepancy between the decay rates.  I realise that this would not be sufficient in itself. (Edit: that is - to determine a complete picture of what gravitational, as opposed to SR, time dilation 'might' be doing in the microscopic region). But there are other avenues for correlating any data like this against if the same logic were to be applied, and one were looking at the 'phenomenon' of time as a significant factor.

But by all means, I too wish to hear what the experts have to say... and I was planning on having a hot chocolate with brandy anyway ;)
« Last Edit: 31/08/2015 09:33:32 by timey »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 30/08/2015 21:27:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums