The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Psychotic posters  (Read 1871 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Psychotic posters
« on: 15/09/2015 08:43:20 »
I'm curious about something. There's a real nut job on the internet who's been following me from forum to forum trying to make people not trust my abilities in physics. He even went out of his way to create little videos about why he's right and I'm wrong and posts links to them after every post I make in one forum. Is this something that can be considered cyber stalking or perhaps some other psychotic behavior?

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Psychotic posters
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2015 22:53:05 »
I generally only consider someone to be odd if they are more odd than I am, that gives them a lot of leeway.
Having said that, I would consider the behaviour you describe as odd. Not just stalking but obsessive.
If you look at the reaction of members of TNS towards oddball posters - mainly those who do not understand QM, relativity, or atomic physics - there is an initial engagement followed by a 'leave them to it attitude' when it is realised that they are unlikely to understand, ever. As for taking the trouble to pursue them onto other forums, too much effort for no return, too many other interesting ideas to consider.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2015 00:07:11 »
I generally only consider someone to be odd if they are more odd than I am, that gives them a lot of leeway.
Having said that, I would consider the behaviour you describe as odd. Not just stalking but obsessive.
If you look at the reaction of members of TNS towards oddball posters - mainly those who do not understand QM, relativity, or atomic physics - there is an initial engagement followed by a 'leave them to it attitude' when it is realised that they are unlikely to understand, ever. As for taking the trouble to pursue them onto other forums, too much effort for no return, too many other interesting ideas to consider.
Here's an example: see https://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=124723&st=105&#entry818326 and read the posts by waitedavid137

I used to think that he was just a really bad a-hole. But making videos and posting them like that makes me think that he's gone over the edge. He seems to think that he has to prove that I'm not a physicists for some strange reason when clearly I am.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/09/2015 12:53:53 »

Here's an example: see https://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=124723&st=105&#entry818326 and read the posts by waitedavid137

I used to think that he was just a really bad a-hole. But making videos and posting them like that makes me think that he's gone over the edge. He seems to think that he has to prove that I'm not a physicists for some strange reason when clearly I am.

Hello Pete, I know we do not see eye to eye but I would never disrespect your ability and knowledge. Please do not let this individual get at you.  I believe you have just come across a professional troll, a real troll unlike the standard people you talk to who you may consider a troll by their lack of literate ability and knowledge and stubbornness.
I am not sure if I have ever been a member of that forum, maybe I should try to register and come over there to sort this fool out. I am certainly a youtube member so I will discourse his videos and comment accordingly.  You are strict in the defence of knowledge Pete, but unless knowledge is widely agreed it is not worth defending and teaching people wrong . A minority. Your morals are correct unless the world agrees otherwise.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/09/2015 17:06:03 »
Quote from: Thebox
Hello Pete, I know we do not see eye to eye but I would never disrespect your ability and knowledge. Please do not let this individual get at you.
Thanks buddy. I appreciate it.

I believe you have just come across a professional troll, a real troll unlike the standard people you talk to who you may consider a troll by their lack of literate ability and knowledge and stubbornness.
That's exactly it. But he makes professional scientists all over the world look bad. He's a horrible person and a terrible physicist. He lacks the ability to understand his mistakes and has a low IQ from everything I've seen him say over the years.

I am not sure if I have ever been a member of that forum, maybe I should try to register and come over there to sort this fool out.
That would be wonderful. He needs as many people telling him to grow up and stop making the same mistakes over and over again. Each time he has made a claim to something which was wrong I corrected him. Rather than admitting to his mistakes or providing an argument to   prove himself to be correct all he's been able to do is repeat his mistake. No good physicist would ever do that. He's simply a jerk to everyone on all forums that he goes to.

I am certainly a youtube member so I will discourse his videos and comment accordingly.
I urge you to do so. Don't expect me to have see those videos. If you think I'm wrong then state exactly what it is that you think I'm wrong about and I'll make my case.

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/09/2015 18:50:31 »
He's a horrible person and a terrible physicist. He lacks the ability to understand his mistakes and has a low IQ from everything I've seen him say over the years.
I'm not so sure about the low IQ part. He seems pretty smart to me, and is at least smart enough to have made it through a master's program in physics, no easy feat, so even if he only graduated with a C average, he's still not exactly dumb.

I think his problem is that he's gone off the deep end in the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" department, so now he acts like all the stupid trolls that have given him crap over the years. Revenge of the Nerd, so to speak. It's easy to imagine that because I have that particular character flaw myself, though I try to keep it in check. Some people don't:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

Maybe it's the fact that my physics and math education is piecemeal and only includes a handful of college courses, but I think he's not just educated, he's smart enough to obfuscate issues and be obtuse, able to argue both sides like a lawyer. You should see some of the posts he's made about Entropy, fluid dynamics, gravity drive, etc. Well argued nonsense meant to prove his ability to run circles around me, which he can. I haven't taken all those math and physics courses.

He's a smart troll, and those are the worst if you ask me.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/09/2015 19:42:08 »
I turned out that the two psychos being morons merely to get the last word in. Lol!
« Last Edit: 21/09/2015 08:09:27 by PmbPhy »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2015 11:04:04 »

I urge you to do so. Don't expect me to have see those videos. If you think I'm wrong then state exactly what it is that you think I'm wrong about and I'll make my case.

Well I can not log into that forum because I am already a member and have forgot my user name for it, Invite him over to here Pete, I would love to engage this individual in science, I do not care how clever he thinks they are I do not like people who go out of their way intentionally trying to provoke or upset someone. 

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/09/2015 15:37:33 »
It's now clear that the slimeball known as krash661 is also a nutjob/liar. He's posting all sorts of lies about me now too.
« Last Edit: 24/09/2015 20:46:39 by PmbPhy »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01/10/2015 21:40:59 »
Krash has now gone overboard with his insults and lies. He's using the fact that I had Leukemia in an attempt to force me off the board or royally piss me off. Now I'm going to report it to the states cyber crimes division.

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/10/2015 19:43:38 »
Yes, that place is bad news. I'm actually sort of disappointed in myself for going back there to try to get in the last word with those clowns. I'm secure in myself and have self confidence, but there's just something about people lying about me and pushing my buttons that makes me want to troll them right back rather than walk away with my head held high.

It's totally non-productive behavior, and I feel like they are winning because I've sunk to their level, and am no longer discussing science, but instead visit a physics forum to take jabs at a handful of losers who trolled me. That gets in the way of people who intend to use the site to learn about science, not read a bunch of conversations between a bunch of big egos slamming each other.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Isn't that how it goes? I really need to quit physforum.com like a bad habit or addiction. I went there to learn about science, but now I'm wasting time there INSTEAD of learning about science. They've gotten me completely off track.

Energy travels in waves, and I feel like negative and positive "energy" is the same. When somebody is rude to you, you can either absorb the negative energy, or scatter it. We are not particles or inert mass. We have a choice to make when we get bombarded with negative energy as to what we are going to do with it; absorb it and subsequently share it, or just let it bounce off and keep going.

I don't believe my actions are predetermined by the physical components that comprise "me." I don't believe I am an inert object that has to have a force act on me first in order to act. I can get up and walk across the room any time I feel like it. Similarly, I can also control how I respond to negative energy, and I think I've been doing a pretty rubbish job of it so far.

Every minute I waste trolling trolls is another minute I could have spent doing something more productive and interesting. Their opinions don't matter. They are a bunch of faceless and mostly nameless internet nobodies who likely compensate for their failure in life through their internet escapades.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2015 19:46:07 by Craig W. Thomson »

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/10/2015 23:58:16 »
I'm curious about something. There's a real nut job on the internet who's been following me from forum to forum trying to make people not trust my abilities in physics. He even went out of his way to create little videos about why he's right and I'm wrong and posts links to them after every post I make in one forum. Is this something that can be considered cyber stalking or perhaps some other psychotic behavior?
Yes:

Jennifer Golbeck Ph.D.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists
Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

Posted Sep 18, 2014

In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published (link is external) that confirms what we all suspected: Internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this? Some Canadian researchers decided to find out.

They conducted two online studies with over 1,200 people, giving personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their Internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the "Dark Tetrad" of personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.

They found that Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity. To get an idea of how much more prevalent these traits were among Internet trolls, see this figure from the paper:

Look at how low the Dark Tetrad scores are for everyone except the trolls! Their scores for all four traits soar on the chart. The relationship between trolling and the Dark Tetrad is so significant that the authors write in their paper:

"... the associations between sadism and GAIT (Global Assessment of Internet Trolling) scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists." [emphasis added]

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article): "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"

The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:

1. These trolls are some truly difficult people.
2. It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/10/2015 00:03:50 »
At their most benign, trolls raise blood pressures across Internet chat rooms. At their worst, they push innocents to a lethal breaking point. But why? Why engage in such anti-social behavior? Those trying to understand, motivated by the desire to best the troll, find as many answers to this question as trolls themselves. Some assume trolls are bullies, cowards, or sociopaths. Is this true? Sometimes, but as David Auerbach posits in, anonymity as culture: treatise, “…there’s no way to know the views of the participants.”1 They’re anonymous players in a game without rules.

Without the why, perhaps understanding lies in the mechanism for how trolls engage in such behavior. How can someone who outwardly appears to respect social norms (going to work, raising a family) so easily adopt a contrarian alter-ego? In a word, disinhibition – the phenomenon wherein one abandons social inhibitions that would normally be present in face-to-face interactions.

In what he calls, the online disinhibition effect, psychologist, John Suller, explaisn that anonymity afforded by the Internet sets the stage for trolling.2 Similar behaviors were observed over CB radios in the 1970s when airwaves were infected by racist ramblings and disturbing masturbation fantasies.3 Arguably, the Internet is more disposed to this behavior, because, as Auerbach observes, this is the first time where “discourse is primarily written rather than spoken.”

Suller identifies six factors contributing to the online disinhibition effect.

Dissociative Anonymity and Invisibility: You don’t know me, and you can’t see me.

Michael Brutsch, a computer programmer, cat-lover, and family man, turned himself into Violentacrez, the infamous Reddit smut-peddler who earned fandom through moderating controversial subreddits like “Jailbait.” The Internet allows one to reinvent him or herself behind an anonymous veil. The obvious irony is that Brutsch was outed by Gawker. A fool-proof system, it is not.

Asynchronicity: See you later.

Trolling comes from the fishing technique of setting one’s baited line in the water, dragging it behind the boat, and waiting for a bite. The activity is passive, allowing one to go about his or her business while waiting for results. The same principle plays out online. Brian Limond, a self-confessed troll and atheist prefers going after his own. His chum of choice – posing as a devout Christian. Setting his bait in the Twittersphere, “It’s such a shame that athiests will never know true love. #atheism,” he sits back, enjoys that beer, and watches as the infuriated godless bite.

Solipsistic Introjection: It’s all in my head.

Without the visual cues of face-to-face conversation, one is free to assign characteristics to those they encounter online. Discussing what he calls A-culture, Auerbach asserts that introverts who once found solace and community online felt threatened when Facebook took it away, turning safe anonymity into a competition for attention. Participants in A-culture see outsiders as a threat to their territory.

Dissociative Imagination: It’s just a game.

Violentacrez illustrates how one might dismiss trolling as “just a game.” Reddit assigns “karma points” to popular subreddits, motivating people to actively moderate provocative content. Justifying his anti-social persona in the name of the game, Violentacrez admitted creating racist and misogynistic subreddits in an attempt to accumulate “meaningless Internet points” – he was wildly successful.

Minimizing Authority: We’re all equals.

The Internet provides a unique opportunity for individuals to interact freely across the social strata. This is notably true in politics. Some political parties hire people to troll forums, spreading their rhetoric. Perhaps only online can a troll launch ad hominem attacks “directly” at the President, a privilege once reserved for pundits.

The online disinhibition effect illustrates that trolls are opportunistic, playing an online game rooted in their anonymity. Simple, really.  Do note, however, that each factor relies on a common thread to make it viable – people willing to engage the troll. Trolling is not a game of solitaire. Unless we want to actively suppress freedom of speech, the only way to beat a troll is to not play the game.

http://academicearth.org/electives/psychology-internet-troll/

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/10/2015 12:24:27 »
Quote from: Craig W. Thomson
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Isn't that how it goes?
That's the saying alright but there's very little truth in it. Consider being assaulted by an enraged motorist who's upset with you because you were pushed out of your lane on the highway but the motorist was unable to witness that act so he blames you for it and is so furious that he's out for blood, just as an example. You try to explain but he wants nothing to do with what he calls "excuses" so he starts to attack you. You're convinced that if you don't defend yourself you'll be seriously hurt, if not killed. He's blocked you from escaping so you can't flee. What does it mean, in this case, to be "part of the problem" when all you want to do is defend yourself?

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/10/2015 19:37:34 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Isn't that how it goes?
That's the saying alright but there's very little truth in it. Consider being assaulted by an enraged motorist who's upset with you because you were pushed out of your lane on the highway but the motorist was unable to witness that act so he blames you for it and is so furious that he's out for blood, just as an example. You try to explain but he wants nothing to do with what he calls "excuses" so he starts to attack you. You're convinced that if you don't defend yourself you'll be seriously hurt, if not killed. He's blocked you from escaping so you can't flee. What does it mean, in this case, to be "part of the problem" when all you want to do is defend yourself?
Yes, you're right. I'm familiar with this sort of argument, as I have a short fuse sometimes, which people tend to refer to as an "anger management problem." It's a character flaw I don't like. I would like to be the calm, cool, collected guy. But in all fairness, I'm not the sort of person who gets pissed off for no reason at all. I generally have a reason. What bothers me is that people act like the guy who loses his temper is the bad guy, not the passive-aggresive jerk who pushed his buttons and made him go off.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2015 19:39:09 by Craig W. Thomson »

Offline krash661

• First timers
  • [MK6] transitioning sci-fi into reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/11/2015 20:13:19 »
let us link the actual reality.
:) shakes head.

Offline krash661

• First timers
  • [MK6] transitioning sci-fi into reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21/11/2015 20:16:08 »
I'm not the sort of person who gets pissed off for no reason at all. I generally have a reason. What bothers me is that people act like the guy who loses his temper is the bad guy, not the passive-aggresive jerk who pushed his buttons and made him go off.

let us link the actual reality.
:) shakes head.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 21/11/2015 20:16:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums