The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could the sound made in tinnitus be related to a noises you have been overexposed to?  (Read 799 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
David> asked the Naked Scientists:

I've had tinnitus ever since I can remember (at least since I was 10 or so - so long before any hearing loss would have set in). I listened to your tinnitus episode with interest.
Just recently I attempted to match the frequency of my tinnitus by playing sounds from a frequency generator until I got a match. It turns out the noise I hear isprimarily around 15.6kHz, which is more-or-less the horizontal refresh frequency of a PAL CRT TV.

Is it possible that growing up around CRT TV's has caused mybrain fill quiet periods with this annoying noise of my youth?

Also, it seems that my tinnitus gets louder if I've over-indulged in alcohol - are there any known relationships between drunkenness and tinnitus?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 16/09/2015 19:50:02 by _system »

Offline Franklin_Uhuru

• View Profile
An important maxim of differential diagnosis is (at least outside Africa) "If you hear hoofbeats out your window, don't expect a herd of Zebras"

Clinicians should (a) perform a targeted history and physical examination at the initial evaluation of a patient with presumed primary tinnitus to identify conditions that if promptly identified and managed may relieve tinnitus; (b) obtain a prompt, comprehensive audiologic examination in patients with tinnitus that is unilateral, persistent (≥ 6 months), or associated with hearing difficulties; (c) distinguish patients with bothersome tinnitus of recent onset from those with persistent symptoms (≥ 6 months) to prioritize intervention and facilitate discussions about natural history and follow-up care; (d) educate patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus about management strategies; (e) recommend a hearing aid evaluation for patients who have persistent, bothersome tinnitus associated with documented hearing loss; and (f) recommend cognitive behavioral therapy to patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus. The panel recommended against (a) antidepressants, anticonvulsants, anxiolytics, or intratympanic medications for the routine treatment of patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus; (b) Ginkgo biloba, melatonin, zinc, or other dietary supplements for treating patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus; and (c) transcranial magnetic stimulation for the routine treatment of patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus. The development group provided the following options: Clinicians may (a) obtain an initial comprehensive audiologic examination in patients who present with tinnitus (regardless of laterality, duration, or perceived hearing status); and (b) recommend sound therapy to patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus. The development group provided no recommendation regarding the effect of acupuncture in patients with persistent, bothersome tinnitus.

That is from the clinical practice  guidelines of the US National Institutes of Health [1.]

If they are obscure to you, then I suggest you print it and show it to your doctor.

You should be cautious in accepting information here at face value. I am a Registered Nurse. If you wish, you may email me and I will share a link to verify my license.

[1.] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25273878

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums