The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Bridge or causeway to protect from rising oceans?  (Read 940 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Paul asked the Naked Scientists:

If the oceans rise 3 metres this century, is it better to build a causeway across a bay or a bridge? I say a bridge because if yo make it 10 metres or so high, you just have to protect the up rights from the sea and there is not the volume of gravel, stones, etc required to build a causeway at least 4 metres high. I am aware you would have to paint the metal parts of the bridge all the time to prevent corrosion from sea spray unless you can develop a type of covering which maintains itself. Another idea is to have a suspension bridge and each century you could raise the bridge another metre or so to cope with the rising water. A few years ago a group of engineering students at the local university had a similar scenario but came to the conclusion it was better to build a causeway rather than repair a bridge. I didn't see the written conclusions. I was just told about it. Cost is a factor. A causeway would give more protection to the coast, so it fulfills two purposes.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 17/09/2015 03:50:02 by _system »

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: Bridge or causeway to protect from rising oceans?
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2015 04:59:43 »
That sounds like a hard question to answer without examining a specific site.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Bridge or causeway to protect from rising oceans?
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2015 04:59:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums