The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could there be other kinds of human still around?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline annie123

• View Profile
With all the different kinds of 'homo' species  found n the fossil record, has it been conclusively proved that there is only one left? Has every group of humans on the planet been studied for DNA etc.? While neanderthal traces have been found in some present day humans, is it possible that there are any other remaining traces of other human species anywhere? Australia? Remote parts of S America? Isolated island communities?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Could there be other kinds of human still around?
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2015 16:44:18 »
I would say probably not, although Homo floresiensis may have persisted until very recently (less than 100,000 years). Tribespeople in some parts of Indonesia speak of "the ancestor who eats everything" referring possibly to flores and therefore of more recent interaction. Could isolated, remote populations therefore persist out there in the great unexplored wilds. Possibly, but the chances are low.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2015 11:55:53 »
any other remaining traces of other human species anywhere?
A single finger bone found in a cave revealed another group of archaic humans, Denisovans, thought to be contemporaries of the Neanderthals.

Australia?
Traces of Denisovan DNA has been found in modern Aborigines of Australia, New Guinea and Melanesia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaic_human_admixture_with_modern_humans#Denisovans

Offline annie123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2015 01:36:50 »
Well, at what point does one species of human evolve into another? What is it that signals a new kind emerging? is it just brain size? a new arrangement of letters in Dna? art? Ritual burying? if we are still evolving, at what point might someone say a new, species is evident? Would it be the kind of creature that is partly made of non biological materials?Could we transition/evolve completely into a new species that is totally artificial and only fossils be left of the biological Homo sapiens?
Y

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2015 03:26:08 »
Well, at what point does one species of human evolve into another? What is it that signals a new kind emerging? is it just brain size? a new arrangement of letters in Dna? art? Ritual burying? if we are still evolving, at what point might someone say a new, species is evident? Would it be the kind of creature that is partly made of non biological materials?Could we transition/evolve completely into a new species that is totally artificial and only fossils be left of the biological Homo sapiens?
Y

My interpretation of the question is that it was about humans (hominids) that are on a parallel evolutionary track, not one of our ancestors. Someone whose lineage split off after we  were differentiated from apes, but before (say) 0.5 million years ago.

My understanding is that there is evidence (from mitochondrial DNA) that Neanderthals interbred with Homo sapiens to some extent in Europe waayy back, but I don't think that counts as being still around...

EDIT: here is some discussion of this interbreeding http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33226416
« Last Edit: 07/10/2015 13:20:31 by chiralSPO »

Offline stevaneq

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/10/2015 09:09:19 »
Its a very interesting question and I guess the answer is in our DNA. I would imagine a significant "mapping" of human DNA across the planet would be required which would be a massive project costing a plenty. It would be very interesting wouldn't it?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 07/10/2015 09:09:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums