The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could aliens be invisible to us due to being in a different dimension?  (Read 454 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Carmen Marin Nogales  asked the Naked Scientists:

I'm a Spanish girl living in China who, quite randomly, happens to be a regular listener of The naked scientist. Off late I have been reading  a lot of science fiction and that made me wonder:

Could it be that extraterrestrial life has already reached us but that this being belong at a higher dimension than the ones we currently are aware of, therefore making them invisible?
Hope you guys consider it worth answering. You do a great job anyway, so keep it going!!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 26/09/2015 05:50:01 by _system »

Offline sam7

• View Profile
No.

If aliens are invisible it's because they have developed invisibility technology. For example, a UFO that uses an anti-gravity drive might also manipulate light so as to appear invisible.

Or, we are already developing James-Bond-esque types of invisibility ourselves by bending light around objects, showing the background but not the foreground.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/new-invisibility-cloak-device-can-hide-almost-anything/ [nofollow]

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Could it be that extraterrestrial life has already reached us but that this being belong at a higher dimension than the ones we currently are aware of, therefore making them invisible?
Carmen
There are a number of theories which suggest additional dimensions to the ones we are aware of - I would say additional rather than higher which implies somer order of ranking.
Some of these dimensions may not be in a form we would recognise as dimensions eg microscopically small.
Whether aliens could make use of them is open to speculation.
If you want to follow up on additional dimensions and how we might perceive the aliens, I would recommend 'Flatland' by Edwin Abbott Abbott, a really fun read.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums