The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Surely the van arken belt would stop humans reaching the moon?  (Read 5570 times)

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
I saw an intersting video proving that a human hasnt travelled further than 400 miles from earth.the radiation belt at 1000miles would destroy life maybe.as well there were examples of 3 different origins of light with 3 shadows in different directions.so did man ever travel to the moon.picturesand mirrors left on the planet are unmanned missions maybe.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
the radiation belt at 1000miles would destroy life maybe

No. The van Allen belts consist of charged particles (principally electrons and protons) which can be absorbed in an aluminium or polyethylene shield, if you need to spend a long time in them. But travel to the moon or high earth orbit only requires a short spell in the belts anyway. They are more of a problem for longterm unmanned satellites.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I saw an intersting video proving that a human hasnt travelled further than 400 miles from earth.
Come on Gary, you can't believe everything you see on u tube.

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
Funny how the earth was believed flat for 10000 years until the 1st mason said otherwise 500 years ago.foolish eh.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Funny how the earth was believed flat for 10000 years
This is a common myth.
The ancients knew the world was round and made a pretty accurate job of calculating its circumference. Columbus knew it was round, he was expecting to find India.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

The following users thanked this post: chiralSPO

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
They didnt.the bible concurs and no evidence that the earth was believed round.for every theory is an equivalent and opposite theory!

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
They didnt.the bible concurs and no evidence that the earth was believed round.
The bible (Old Testament) was written as a book of history, law and prophecy for the Jewish people. As such it is not a scientific text and it ignores the culture and science of other nations. It does not say the earth is flat, but does in a number of places use words to describe the earth and heavens which are translated as circles or spheres. It also describes the earth as hanging in space, of having a dark and light side and when talking of his return Jesus refers to it occurring at day and night which theologians take to refer to both sides of the earth.
The early Christian church based much of its belief about the world and science on the teachings of Aristotle. Aristotle (384-322 B.C.) believed the universe is finite and spherical with a stationary spherical earth at its center. Enclosing the whole universe is the sphere of the Prime Motion turned by the First Unmoved Mover. Inside that were transparent spheres containing fixed and unchanging stars, planets, moon and sun. In circa 230 BC, Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth using shadows from the sun and those calculations assume the earth is a sphere.
We are often told that the early church took a very literal translation of the Bible, but this is not true. Clement and Origen (185-254 A.D.) sought to reconcile Greek wisdom (Aristotle's thoughts in philosophy and sciences) with scriptural wisdom. They viewed separate literal, moral, and spiritual senses of Bible passages and this allegorical interpretation was accepted by Augustine (354-430 A.D.) and the result was a mixing of philosophy, culture, and theology.
We are also told that Galileo clashed with the church because he believed the earth was round, in fact it was because the church believed Aristotle and thought the sun went around the earth. This is not an unreasonable assumption (even today surveys show that 16% of Americans think this is true) and from a relativistic viewpoint it is correct. However, Arab mathematicians having adopted the decimal system, and more importantly a symbol for 0, began to look at the motion of the planets and stars. Despite very complex calculations they could find no common explanation for the movements if all the heavens rotated around the earth. By Galileo's time this was a big issue, he had seen the Arab calculations and he was in correspondence with other leading scientists such as Kepler and he soon realised that the only reasonable assumption was that the earth and planets orbit around the sun. But, the question of whether they were spheres was never in doubt.
You may believe whatever you wish and it will have no impact on reality. However, it is unreasonable to assume that our predecessors were stupid, they were far more intelligent than many of the people who post on U tube.

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
I love your responses. they are honest and always correct and that's why I ask questions on here.but there is nothing in this world now that can convince me the world is a sphere.the bible and church carry culture.its easier to fool someone thatn make them believe they were foold. maths cant do much for observation.the flights that exist on the web for the shortest routes,then disappear.GPS doesn't have to be an orbiting thing. satellites rarely seen in space.i could go on.ask yourself any question,and put flat earth next to that in google, and there is a perfect explanation for all of that. im not gullable,I just observe.

its interesting tie-ing all these ideas up with pyramids having 6-8 sides I believe.ships go E-W and not N-S.planes in southern hemisphere loss gps for 4-6 hours at times for no reason.greenland being 5 times smaller than it really is.sunrays spread sideways through the clouds.perspective view.fish eye lens.our concave view of the world.

they have broken the bible down into a logicle message using just the names in the bible.atom and hydrogen bombs sent to the atmosphere between 1961-69.man went up in 1961 for a look then probably never went again.jfk died for some reason.and now the world believes a whole load of stuff.we only see 1 side of the moon the world over.hmmm.the north hem sees one image and the south hem the upside down image of the same.

oh.and antartica having the world sign a trraty so no-one goes there?oh and air bubbles coming out of astronauts helmets on more tha one occasion.astronauts wont swear on the bible.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
im not gullable,I just observe.
Have you ever looked out of the window of an aeroplane? Or tried to navigate a ship or plane using a "flat earth" map?  Or seen a pendulum?

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
it is easier to fool a person than convince them they were fooled.pendulum?I don't get it.

How do you navigate a ship using a map?compass in the old days and GPS now days with the most trecent map of the day.plus local and national flights don't need much work to it,but international flights in the southern hemisphere are bogus sometimes. have you ever navigated a ship as you asked if I had. they don't go North or South directly.

what would I see out of a window of an aeroplane?

I think colin said that the great people of many years ago proved the world was flat?they never had the ability of flight till 100 years ago or so.HHHMMMMM.they only worked out the circumference of the equator.why is antartica like 15 times larger than the artic.you have been fooled my friend!

So,convince me that the story of gravity of planets and orbiting and satellittes and all these amazing things aren't just away of Government(which means MIND CONTROL in latin) controlled world peace and order.Why would the UN flag be a model of the flat earth map?they could have designed it in a different way.

. I am beginning to wonder/challenge what we have all been taught for children.christmas aint a Christian thing.its the church making you believe what you have been told eg. It about order and if there was a world revolt because space wasn't what they thought, chaos my friend.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
it is easier to fool a person than convince them they were fooled.pendulum?I don't get it.
Then you would do well to study some elementary physics and ask yourself how a pendulum works and how it could possibly keep the same time anywhere on a flat planet.

How do you navigate a ship using a map?compass in the old days and GPS now days with the most trecent map of the day.
You can't use GPS because that depends on the earth being spherical and umpteen satellites being in orbit around it, held there by gravitation.

plus local and national flights don't need much work to it,but international flights in the southern hemisphere are bogus sometimes.
The last time I went there, it was far from bogus. It was high summer here and mid winter there - not possible on a flat planet.

have you ever navigated a ship as you asked if I had. they don't go North or South directly.
Yes, and from time to time we did go directly north or south. Due largely to a chunk of France being south of a chunk of England.

Nothing, obviously. "There are none so blind as those that will not see". But I see the curvature of the earth 'cos otherwise I'd get lost or crash and lose my licence. Perhaps you subscribe to the conspiracy theory that the godless Civil Aviation Authority challenges Papal wisdom by insisting that all aircraft windscreens are curved, but pilots who fly under Muslim and Hindu regulatory authorities seem to use the same maps. 

I think colin said that the great people of many years ago proved the world was flat?they never had the ability of flight till 100 years ago or so.HHHMMMMM.they only worked out the circumference of the equator.
Hde actually said exactly the opposite.

why is antartica like 15 times larger than the artic.you have been fooled my friend!
No, it's infinitely bigger. You try to work out why.

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
Then you would do well to study some elementary physics and ask yourself how a pendulum works and how it could possibly keep the same time anywhere on a flat planet.

what?

How do you navigate a ship using a map?compass in the old days and GPS now days with the most trecent map of the day.
You can't use GPS because that depends on the earth being spherical and umpteen satellites being in orbit around it, held there by gravitation.

Three points on the flat disk will triangulate your position. You can lose a radio signal in a tunnel just like gps.

plus local and national flights don't need much work to it,but international flights in the southern hemisphere are bogus sometimes.
The last time I went there, it was far from bogus. It was high summer here and mid winter there - not possible on a flat planet.

Where did you go and from where?

have you ever navigated a ship as you asked if I had. they don't go North or South directly.
Yes, and from time to time we did go directly north or south. Due largely to a chunk of France being south of a chunk of England.

well its not a great distance and doesn't mean much.  ship swill not sail long distances directly north or south

Nothing, obviously. "There are none so blind as those that will not see". But I see the curvature of the earth 'cos otherwise I'd get lost or crash and lose my licence. Perhaps you subscribe to the conspiracy theory that the godless Civil Aviation Authority challenges Papal wisdom by insisting that all aircraft windscreens are curved, but pilots who fly under Muslim and Hindu regulatory authorities seem to use the same maps. 

who said about curved windows?why is it when you look into a spoon one way ur facing up,and the other ur upside down.Perspective and perception and the human fish eye lens effect. A bird would not see what you see holmes.

I think colin said that the great people of many years ago proved the world was flat?they never had the ability of flight till 100 years ago or so.HHHMMMMM.they only worked out the circumference of the equator.
Hde actually said exactly the opposite.

That's what I meant.they proved the world was round somehow.

why is antartica like 15 times larger than the artic.you have been fooled my friend!
No, it's infinitely bigger. You try to work out why.

because its surrounding us maybe and the world has made it no mans land maybe?

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
HIGHER EDUCATION. There are many dumber, but if they teach you that ur dumber, that's HIGHER EDUCATION!

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Australia and New Zealand, from England. If the world is flat, why couldn't I see the Pole Star from the Antipodes? And why can't I see the Southern Cross from England?

And I'll give you the answer about Antarctica. It's infinitely bigger than the Arctic because there is no land at the north pole. 

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
Australia and New Zealand, from England. If the world is flat, why couldn't I see the Pole Star from the Antipodes? And why can't I see the Southern Cross from England?

And I'll give you the answer about Antarctica. It's infinitely bigger than the Arctic because there is no land at the north pole.
your not a map maker-of which they all admit nothing on the globe map scale is exact or perfect.and my research says antartica is 18000km cir and artic is 16000km cir.HMMM
You cant see the southern cross because it is to far away like the sun dis/appearing everyday/night. Its just far away.You van see most northern constellations from the south pole.HMMM

If we are on a flat earth, my gravity theory would be correct then.1 side of the moon.1 evr pic of earth,oh the list goes on.jfk.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Get a grip on reality, mate!

If you define the arctic and antarctic by means of latitude, they are of course identical on a spherical planet, but vastly different on a flat one. And of course there is no unique south pole on a flat planet, so the probability of Scott finding Amundsen's flag was negligible - indeed zero if they set off from different camps and travelled "south". 

If you define Antarctica as the solid continent above sea level, it is infinitely bigger because there is no such rock under the Arctic ice.

You van see most northern constellations from the south pole.HMMM
Please show us a verified photograph of Polaris taken from sea level, anywhere south of the equator. It's easy to identify. And perhaps you can tell me where to see the Southern Cross from Glasgow.

Better still, stop trolling nonsense and get a life.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If the earth were flat, what shape would the van arken belt be? And wouldn't a flat Earth need to have edges or be infinitely large?

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
If the earth were flat, what shape would the van arken belt be? And wouldn't a flat Earth need to have edges or be infinitely large?
van allen belt can be what ever shape.look it up for yourself about the boundaries and the circumference of flat earth.its quite a simple theory.the total circumference of earth on a flat scale is debatable.

how about if each degree of latitude is 110km.there are 90 degrees from pole to pole.thats 9900 km from south pole to north pole.9900 x 2 is 19800km.so the meridional circumference should be 19800km not 40008km.400008km is just based on the earths radius---C=diameter x pi.

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
Get a grip on reality, mate!

If you define the arctic and antarctic by means of latitude, they are of course identical on a spherical planet, but vastly different on a flat one. And of course there is no unique south pole on a flat planet, so the probability of Scott finding Amundsen's flag was negligible - indeed zero if they set off from different camps and travelled "south". 

If you define Antarctica as the solid continent above sea level, it is infinitely bigger because there is no such rock under the Arctic ice.

You van see most northern constellations from the south pole.HMMM
Please show us a verified photograph of Polaris taken from sea level, anywhere south of the equator. It's easy to identify. And perhaps you can tell me where to see the Southern Cross from Glasgow.

Better still, stop trolling nonsense and get a life.
why don't you answer those questions for yourself as I have.polaris is just below the horizon anywhere south of the equator.The southern cross can be seen from 25 degrees north of the equator.depends on time of the evening and day of the year I would imagine.they can suggest that the sun doesn't rise or set,its just further away-the perspective view and vanishing point as we were all taught.so seeing something very far away on a flat land isn't going to rise above the horizon so that you can continue to see it.If you type your curious questions into google using the words flat earth-you will probably answer your question.

my definition of a troll is someone hassling with no intention to be educated.i want to be educated and don't intend to annoy-im south African lol.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If Polaris is "just below the horizon" that rather suggests that the earth is spherical. And as you go further south it is more and more "just below".  Glasgow is 56 degrees north. Is the Southern Cross visible from Sauciehall Street?

how about if each degree of latitude is 110km.there are 90 degrees from pole to pole.
Not on my map - there are 180 degrees of latitude from pole to pole. Get a better map.

your not a map maker-of which they all admit nothing on the globe map scale is exact or perfect
If the earth were flat, you could map it exactly onto a flat sheet with no distortion at all. The fact that you can't, surely suggests that it isn't?
« Last Edit: 09/11/2015 23:22:56 by alancalverd »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
im south African lol.
Are you offering that as a reason or an excuse?

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
If Polaris is "just below the horizon" that rather suggests that the earth is spherical. And as you go further south it is more and more "just below".  Glasgow is 56 degrees north. Is the Southern Cross visible from Sauciehall Street?

what number is your house and I will send you the answer.its most probable to far away to see,but its the at a different angle possibly-this can be explained through online videos using programs to project why the north and south spin in 2 different directions and the moon is upside down in the southern hemisphere.why is ur image upside down in one side of a spoon.thats what got me started in all off this.others can see what we cant.

how about if each degree of latitude is 110km.there are 90 degrees from pole to pole.
Not on my map - there are 180 degrees of latitude from pole to pole. Get a better map.

ye.i realised that after I wrote it.thank you for not ripping me apart for that stupid assumption.there are 180 degrees.my bad

your not a map maker-of which they all admit nothing on the globe map scale is exact or perfect
If the earth were flat, you could map it exactly onto a flat sheet with no distortion at all. The fact that you can't, surely suggests that it isn't?
look up flat earth in google under images.makes sense.many of our bulk land masses,ice or not are not to size.
antartica has never had someone walk the shore/coast/cliff line to measure it.the have been methods,but many explorers of the 1800s said that they believed the longitude line distances between them widened the further south they travelled from the equator.cook,rowbotham,de gama,james clark ross,william carpenter.

the british ship challenger recently completed the circuit of the southern region.3years later and 69000miles later.
apparently antartic coastline starts at 75 degrees and impenetratable.

flight connections all over the world follow the flat earth distances as they are the shortest by coincidence.i know you all think im nuts,but there are 100s of scientist who believe what I believe-and I am just an observer-not a conspiracy junkie.

Offline gazza711

• View Profile
im south African lol.
Are you offering that as a reason or an excuse?
things would have been different if the won the rugby eh.both maybe:-) :-\

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

flight connections all over the world follow the flat earth distances as they are the shortest by coincidence.

That is demonstrably false. For instance, look at these flight paths from the US to India. All of the paths appear curved on the flat map (so not the shortest option if it actually was flat).

http://www.mumbai.me/New-York/images/Manchester-New-York-flight-path.gif
http://travelisfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Screen-shot-2014-01-27-at-10.44.48-PM.png

In fact this makes sense if you look at it as a spherical globe and fly like this:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Air-India-USA-Destinations.gif

Offline gazza711

• View Profile

flight connections all over the world follow the flat earth distances as they are the shortest by coincidence.

That is demonstrably false. For instance, look at these flight paths from the US to India. All of the paths appear curved on the flat map (so not the shortest option if it actually was flat).

http://www.mumbai.me/New-York/images/Manchester-New-York-flight-path.gif
http://travelisfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Screen-shot-2014-01-27-at-10.44.48-PM.png

In fact this makes sense if you look at it as a spherical globe and fly like this:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Air-India-USA-Destinations.gif
My appologies.I write bfore I think. I meant southern hemisphere/below the equator

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length