The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Click for a free donation for World AIDS Day  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
Click for a free donation for World AIDS Day
« on: 02/12/2006 16:06:19 »
Saw this in another group I belong to, hope this is allowed on the forum. It's US but you can 'click' from any country, every little bit helps!

In honor of World AIDS Day on December 1st, Bristol-Myers Squibb, the pharmaceutical monolith (that charges nearly $1000 for a 30-day supply of one of its HIV/AIDS medications), is donating $1 to the National AIDS Fund for each person who simply visits their website and "virtually lights a candle".

https://www.lighttounite.org/

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Click for a free donation for World AIDS Day
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2006 16:45:17 »
Done.  Thanks Jen.

Carolyn

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/12/2006 16:58:47 »
Done !!..some of those stories are very moving .

Gosh !!..nice of ewe to do this from Marrakesh Gaia

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2006 17:13:33 »
Not going until January babe, you can't get rid of me that easily, just mega busy.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2006 17:39:15 »
Done and what a cool site and wonderful movement. I have a couple whom we have been close to for 25 years. Their son is dying from AIDS . He is up and down.. some days are good otheres are horrendous. He has had several mild strokes and other complications from this. He is just a young man of 28ish! It is a devastating illness. I know new meds have helped over the years and they ar able to make him more comfortable then a few years ago.. He is hanging in there! He had made a move to be a singer and had recorded an album . This has hindered his carreer and left him unable to move on.. I should get his web link and let you all take a listen... Neil won't like the music as it is country!LOL
« Last Edit: 03/12/2006 11:46:35 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/12/2006 18:52:59 »
Not going until January babe, you can't get rid of me that easily, just mega busy.

Gosh...back already !! eh ?  How was it ?...and then going again in january ..how wonderful !!

Incidentally...I have ' lost the plot' this weekend !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2006 18:53:44 »
Done and what a cool site and wonderful movement. I have a couple whom we have been close to for 23 years. Their son is dying from AIDS . He is up and down.. some days are good otheres are horrendous. He has had several mild strokes and other complications from this. He is just a young man of 28ish! It is a devastating illness. I know new meds have helped over the years and they ar able to make him more comfortable then a few years ago.. He is hanging in there! He had made a move to be a singer and had recorded an album . This has hindered his carreer and left him unable to move on.. I should get his web link and let you all take a listen... Neil won't like the music as it is country!LOL

So sad to hear of this Karen mam....

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/2006 19:28:34 »
I must admit that this is a cause near to my heart - I used to be an HIV researcher

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/12/2006 19:49:31 »
It's a very good cause Gaia, I knew I loved you!! My heart goes out to all of those touched by this devastating illness. My friend has been recovering as best he can for about 3 and 1/2 years now. He is finally mobile again, but his motor skills and speech have been damaged. I don't know if he will ever recover that! I pray he does. He is a great kid. Reminds me so of his Daddy! They are a great family whom I love alot! A large part of my life. I have very little family living and they became family many years ago. I don't really consider them friends and so when asked about friends I have very few, way less family, but they are family even though technicalities say otherwise. I love them Dearly!

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/12/2006 21:59:44 »
I do hope your friend gets as well as he is able!

At least with the advances in drug therapy that have now been made, many people who are HIV +ve are able to stay HIV non-progressors (ie not develop full-blown AIDS) for a longer period of time. Others who have developed AIDS are able to slow the disease progression.

That said, it is still a devastating illness!

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03/12/2006 03:04:44 »
...and HIV continues to spread among vulnerable populations in China, India, and Russia. None of these nations have so far been willing to admit the scale of the danger, preferring to maintain the kind of public silence that existed on the topic in the USA twenty years ago.

The thing that disturbs me with HIV is that it continues to spread. Some say optimistically that we are advancing because we are able to medicate a few people in the third world now. But the disease is expanding faster than our efforts to expand treatment. That is by definition still "defeat" not "victory". 

When will it end? When every human who is not practicing safe sex or in a monogamous relationship with an HIV- individual is dead or on antivirals? Or when we come up with a magical "cure"? Maybe a cure is not possible? Maybe we never really tried hard enough to teach people how to avoid infection?  How frustrating to encounter a disease that should be so easily vanquished- by just saying no-and yet appears invincible.

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/12/2006 09:49:55 »
Chris, I absolutely agree.

Also,when will the drug companies make anti-HIV drugs cheap to the developing world on principle?

When will the Pope endorse the use of Condoms?

When will the US government stop imposing religio-moral conditions on the grant of (anti-AIDS) aid such as countries having to promote abstinance and not being 'allowed' to promote condom usage?
« Last Edit: 03/12/2006 12:49:12 by Gaia »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03/12/2006 11:47:55 »
Done and what a cool site and wonderful movement. I have a couple whom we have been close to for 23 years. Their son is dying from AIDS . He is up and down.. some days are good otheres are horrendous. He has had several mild strokes and other complications from this. He is just a young man of 28ish! It is a devastating illness. I know new meds have helped over the years and they ar able to make him more comfortable then a few years ago.. He is hanging in there! He had made a move to be a singer and had recorded an album . This has hindered his carreer and left him unable to move on.. I should get his web link and let you all take a listen... Neil won't like the music as it is country!LOL

So sad to hear of this Karen mam....

Yes, He is a great kid and tough as nails! He is still fighting tooth and nail.. with all he has.. and doing a dang good JOb! He is holding his head up high and I for one am very proud of him.. I met him when he was a young boy. He is a bit older then my Sarah oh my gosh guys I am 10 years off, my friends son is about 32 to 35ish at this point oh my I am getting old! I can't remember exactly how old he is anymore.. My Sarah is twenty five feb. 6th and he was about 8 years older then her and she was 4 then he was 12or so, within a year or so..Oh Man how time flies!

Thanks Neil It is sad and it hits so many people..young old doesn't matter!

Offline babyme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/12/2006 13:46:04 »
i dont pray aids for those people have it but life still countinue for everyliving people are still get hope

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/12/2006 20:20:27 »
I must admit that this is a cause near to my heart - I used to be an HIV researcher

Gaia, what aspect of the research were you involved in with this. I think that is an incredible effort and wonderful too. There is so much fear out there, with good cause none the less. Still there is such a stigma for those affected by this disease, that I think you must be a very caring compassionant person, to support and do the research that's needed to help those others in need of relief from this devastating disease! Bravo for you, and Yayyyy for all those affected for being able to have someone like you out there fighting so hard for them and their families! You are wonderful! :)
« Last Edit: 03/12/2006 20:24:17 by Karen W. »

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04/12/2006 02:05:34 »
Gaia-
To your three questions above I must answer Yes, yes, and yes: all these ideas needed to be carried out many years ago. There are two ways to deal with a communicable disease: cure it or disrupt the vector. With HIV we do not yet have a cure, meaning that our only realistic option is to disrupt the vector. The vector is transmission through sexual contact, blood transfusion, or intravenous drug abuse. Yet we still agonize over the morality of condom use despite the fact that you can buy trojans at any Target store in this country, and resist the idea of needle exchange because we are terrified that it signifies that we would be tolerating heroin addiction. Are we so stupid that we would actually believe that anyone would become a heroin addict simply in order to collect free needles?
It was only a few years back that thousands of Chinese were infected with HIV by blood collection trucks that paid them cash. They used the same needles for everybody- and this was fifteen years into the HIV epidemic.
If humans still exist in the year 2100, they will laugh hysterically at us.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 04/12/2006 02:05:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums