The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why have my legs started to ache?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline PlainVanilla

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why have my legs started to ache?
« on: 01/10/2015 11:03:18 »
Lately, after I walk for more than 15 minutes or so, my lower legs start to ache. Why is that?

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why have my legs started to ache?
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2015 12:14:44 »
Lately, after I walk for more than 15 minutes or so, my lower legs start to ache. Why is that?
One reason could be restricted or insufficient blood flow. I assume you have no other conditions eg diabetes?
As this is recent onset I would go see a GP.

Online puppypower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2015 13:21:54 »
What happens sometimes is blood will pool in the legs via surface veins. This pooling causes the circulation to not to be as good because the pooling is sort of out of the loop.

One solution is to use support stockings that apply a slight 10-20 mm of mercury pressure to the legs. This pressure prevents pooling of the blood on the surface, so it goes back into circulation. The result are the legs get more oxygen and the tired feeling goes away. Runners often use an athletic version of support stockings to keep the legs from getting tired. There are four possible support pressures from low to high. I would recommend only  the lowest one or two. The higher ones, 3 and 4, are for more serious circulation problems.

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2015 13:38:38 »
"lower legs start to ache" is not very descriptive. It might have nothing to do with circulation, and everything to do with your shoes. Have you started wearing new shoes, or do you need new shoes? Does the speed at which you walk influence the degree of the pain or how quickly it sets in? Is there swelling as well? Is the pain localized (ankle or shin etc.)? How long after you stop moving does the pain last?

Online chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2015 21:51:11 »
This could be a range of factors including blood supply, nerve supply, muscle weakness, spinal problems.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/10/2015 09:05:37 »
Although there are many possible explanations, why risk your future health? Go see a doctor.
Mobility is essential to your continuing health and well being.
The symptoms are of relatively rapid onset and 15mins is a very short period to be experiencing these pains.
It may be a minor problem, but don't risk it.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/2015 13:49:48 »
Hi, can I ask you how much walking in general do you do?  You say they have started to ache, see a doctor if you generally walk all the time, but if you are like me , I get leg ache when I walk or ride a bicycle because of lack of use of my legs.

I also suffer from restless legs, my little toe twitches on its own, this is also because I am not expending the energy in my body. (well maybe).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 02/10/2015 13:49:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums