The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can we make trains more energy efficient?  (Read 6781 times)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: How can we make trains more energy efficient?
« Reply #25 on: 21/10/2015 15:19:04 »
Apples and oranges! It takes about 15 minutes to fly from Maidstone to Heathrow, and between 7 and 12 hours to travel from Maidstone to Frankfurt by train or car. You could fly in a small plane from Rochester to Frankfurt in about 2 hours, or in a jet from Manston in less than 1 hour.  The problem isn't air travel, it's the pathetic surface travel in and around London, the fact that Manston was sold for 1 to build houses under the government's "brown field " scheme, and the absurd tax on fuel for piston-engined aircraft.

Next week I have to travel between Cambridge and Llanelli. 4.5 or 7.5 hours each way by train (plus 40 minutes from any Cambridge "park & ride" to the station in the rush hour), 8 hours by bus, 5 hours driving, or 90 minutes in a 2-seat basic training aircraft. No contest.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21/10/2015 20:48:34 »
Personally, I don't believe that aeroplanes can ever work. If you did somehow take off you would have to land and aeroplanes would take miles to stop.

That would mean that aeroplanes would often have to be quite a long way away from centres of cities, which would make them extremely inconvenient.

Clearly, man will never fly.

Oh wait, they do fly, but that's why they're not used to go down to the shops.

My bad!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #26 on: 21/10/2015 20:48:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums