The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What really is dark energy and dark matter?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Diogo_Afonso_Leitao

• View Profile
What really is dark energy and dark matter?
« on: 05/10/2015 15:29:32 »
Hello, my name is Diogo and this is my first post here in the naked scientists forum! So, i was wondering
why did scientists come up with the idea of dark energy and dark matter and what is the difference between them.
Thanks for attention!

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What really is dark energy and dark matter?
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2015 23:36:14 »
Hi Diogo, welcome.

Very briefly, dark matter was suggested as an explanation for things such as the speed of rotation of galaxies, which didn't seem quite "right".

Dark energy was proposed when it was discovered that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating.  Something had to be "pushing" it.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the thread "The nature of dark matter"; the chances are some of your questions will be answered there, and that will avoid repetition.  If not; keep asking; our experts sometimes need prodding. :)

Offline Diogo_Afonso_Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2015 01:10:12 »
Hi Diogo, welcome.

Very briefly, dark matter was suggested as an explanation for things such as the speed of rotation of galaxies, which didn't seem quite "right".

Dark energy was proposed when it was discovered that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating.  Something had to be "pushing" it.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the thread "The nature of dark matter"; the chances are some of your questions will be answered there, and that will avoid repetition.  If not; keep asking; our experts sometimes need prodding. :)
Thank you very much Bill!

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2015 02:04:42 »
Hello, my name is Diogo and this is my first post here in the naked scientists forum! So, i was wondering
why did scientists come up with the idea of dark energy and dark matter and what is the difference between them.
Thanks for attention!
Welcome to the forum. :)

Dark matter is the source of matter that is responsible for the anomalous rotation curves of galaxies while dark energy is the source of the repulsive gravitational field that is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Nobody knows what they're composed of yet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2015 02:04:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums