The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the universe just expanding into nothing ?  (Read 6149 times)

Offline CorneliusDalvert

• View Profile
Re: Is the universe just expanding into nothing ?
« Reply #25 on: 09/10/2015 18:42:11 »
Hi timey yeah that inflationary universe :) So as I understand it inflation is what gets our universe from a singularity to where experimental physics starts giving us a clearer understanding of actual events and in eternal inflation that model is used to explain dark energy . Our universe is just one of many and as a result  our universe  inflating into some kind of dense vacuum ? But if ( sorry about this BIG if ) our universe "condensed" out of the collapsing event horizon rather than inflating to fill a reasonable volume from a singularity then no need for inflation ? I understand that this may be physics from the university of never-neverland but as the only singularities that could be are hidden behind an event horizon why not ? After all it's the event horizon where it all starts to get weird and they have a volume :)
Hi Bill I'm always delighted when my poorly informed opinion makes someone happy , if the first part of this post made you laugh that too would make me happy :) I don't know enough to know when I'm wrong , so what makes me happy is to be told by those who do know :) And occasionally sometimes I'm given to tautology :)   
« Last Edit: 09/10/2015 18:55:00 by CorneliusDalvert »

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09/10/2015 19:20:53 »
Quote from: Cornelius
I think it's best to view time as a frame of reference not a physical structure .

Does that differ from seeing time as that with which we measure change? I would be quite happy with that, but I accept that it may be no more than a poorly informed opinion.

I can't agree that seeing nothing as being "absolutely nothing" is in any way complicating the issue. 

BTW, I regard "absolutely nothing" as a tautology, on a par with "absolutely perfect" or "absolutely infinite".

If you think about the accelerated expansion of universe (space-time) what that also means is time is speeding up at an accelerated rate. This means the potentials of the universe are being used up quicker.

As an analogy, say we have two furnaces that are identical in all ways. One is placed in a slower more contracted reference and the other is placed in a faster more expanded reference. Side by side, the faster more expanded reference furnace will burn fuel as a faster rate due to time speeding up.

If we substitute factories for furnaces, with each factory making widgets with one defect per hour, the faster reference factory will be adding entropy at a faster rate to the universe. Is the universe observed to be burning itself faster and faster, with the rate of entropy speeding up, relative to the past?
« Last Edit: 09/10/2015 19:23:29 by puppypower »

Offline CorneliusDalvert

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10/10/2015 14:03:35 »
Hi All Would anyone happen to know if the mass of quark gluon plasma has been applied to the volume of an event horizon generated from its Schwartzchild radius , to see if it generates enough gravity to be stable ? And if not there are  still particles to be cooked into a super dense plasma which could only increase the energy levels and mass ? Brought to you by the research department of never-neverland :)
« Last Edit: 10/10/2015 15:50:24 by CorneliusDalvert »

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10/10/2015 21:18:03 »
Quote from: PP
If you think about the accelerated expansion of universe (space-time) what that also means is time is speeding up at an accelerated rate.

In the reference frame of the Universe, surely, time continues to progress at one second per second.  Only if you could establish a reference frame outside the Universe (good luck with that :)) would you observe time dilation.  Would you then see time speeding up as the Universe’s expansion rate increased???

Quote from: PP
. One is placed in a slower more contracted reference and the other is placed in a faster more expanded reference.

I acknowledge that this is a thought experiment, but some relationship with the real world is a distinct advantage. 
What are these slower and faster “references”? 
Are they reference frames in which change happens at a different rate? 
Does time pass more quickly in one than in the other? 
What is the relationship between time and rate of physical change in each?

Offline timey

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #29 on: 11/10/2015 14:33:54 »
Cornelius.  Tbh I have not read much about this inflationary universe concept.   Only the wiki link :).  Although, like Bill, I also try to avoid "beliefs" where physics is concerned, my 'leaning' is towards looking at the universe expanding from the very small, into the very large.

Matter condensing from an event horizon?  I watched this recently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7BvabYnn8

Perhaps black holes and the interpreted observation of the possibility that they may be ejecting matter via superluminal jets might ring some bells for this notion?

Sorry... it's all I could come up with :)

Also, puppypower... a particularly grumpy physicist, on another forum, once told me in no uncertain terms that the rate of time does not increase proportionally with distance in space.  It is supposed to increase in elevation near mass, but that this observed increase in the rate of time levels off in space. 

Offline CorneliusDalvert

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11/10/2015 22:59:55 »
Hi timey thanks for the link I already knew about the high energy plasma in an accretion disc but I read about quark gluon plasma and how dense it was and I couldn't help but speculate about it . I started a new thread on this so maybe some nice cosmologist will tell me if I'm a total idiot :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 11/10/2015 22:59:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums