The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will toast always land butter side down?!  (Read 13429 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Will toast always land butter side down?!
« Reply #25 on: 13/12/2006 23:16:13 »
I remember some years back when I read New Scientist that there was a flurry of letters regarding this phenomenon. And it was suggested that in order to produce a true perpetual motion machine, all you had to do was to strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat (butter side up) and as a consequence of the laws of motion (i.e. buttered toast lands butter side down, and that a cat always lands on its feet), if you pushed said cat off the table it would end up spinning forever!

A further piece of correspondence suggested this as a means by which interstellar travel may be possible - whenever starships are presented on TV/film, the engines always emit a low thrumming sound - you guessed it - thousands of cats purring away with toast on their back.......

Enjoy,
Adam

As a firm believer in empirical study I took my daughters toy cat and stapled some buttered toast to it's back !!

....wooooo !!!.....That's one perpetual motion stuffed cat engine happening right there  !! ....

*note: If anyone sees a stuffed rotating cat zipping about ..please try and catch it...use a net !!*

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14/12/2006 13:50:23 »
YOU are so silly!! We will watch out for that for sure!LOL LOL

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #26 on: 14/12/2006 13:50:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length