The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Geothermal power  (Read 4613 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Geothermal power
« on: 08/12/2006 15:34:05 »
About 1000 KM to the North West of the UK there is the highly volcanic island of Iceland where abundant geothermal power could be generated.

I feel it would be economicaly possible to lay a cable to bring this to the UK although I add a cautionary note that this route was rejected for a telephone cable to the USA.

Comments please

Offline Heliotrope

• View Profile
    • http://www.davethedrummer.com
Re: Geothermal power
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2006 18:48:11 »
Iceland is inhabited.
So I rather think they'd prefer to keep their power for themselves.
Then it means they're not dependent on anyone else.
This is one of the resons why I keep going back there for holidays and hope, eventually to retire there.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2006 18:57:06 »
Building 1000km of undersea cabling that would shift significant amounts of power would be immensely expensive, it would also be very sensitive to underwater landslides/ volcanic erruptions and the losses on that length of cable, whilst not insurmoutable would be large.

I think that for the moment it makes sense for iceland to make energy intensive materials, such as aluminium and essentially export energy that way.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2006 21:59:15 »
Has any serious study of the economics of the project ever been made?, Of course we would have to pay for the power as we have to the cod after our defeat in the low intensity war of 1976.
we have been paying the French for their atom tainted power for about 40 years the cable was very high tech when it was first put in service.
There are several intervening islands where refrigeration plants could be set up for the superconducting cable but as pointed out earth movement might rule it out

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2006 23:31:18 »
You really wouldn't want to go anywhere near an undersea superconducting cable, until technology has improved an awful lot. Assuming you would want to use High Tc Superconductors that can be cooled with superconductors, for a start making a couple of km of cable at the moment is very challenging let alone 1000km. The superconductors are very brittle, and the cables only slightly get around this, and under 4km of water is not a good place to do maintainance.

Apparently people have looked into it, people have mentioned it here:
http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/library/geni/PowerGeneration/remote-renewable-energy--international-electrical-interconnections--a-priority-for-all-continents/index.shtml

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/12/2006 18:29:06 »
The article you quote seems to be enthusiastic, although I have not as yet purchased the 1993 study it would seem that there would be no need for a superconducting cable.
I think something like this and possibly the long neglected Severn estuary scheme could well be ready before fusion type plants come on stream.
Although the relatively small savings that we could make to the CO2 problem would make little difference it would at least be better than switching off the 2 watt standby circuits on our TV's and our mobile phone chargers.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2006 23:34:29 »
There is a certain amount of geothermal power avaiable in the UK and using an underground heat source/sink for a combined solat energy system using heat pumps and solar cells is probably the most efficient way of temeperature control for houses in temeperate latitudes

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2006 14:32:10 »
The Icelandic Submarine Cable   
In January 2001, after several years of deliberation and debate, the Icelandic government had finally decided to pursue the Icelandic Submarine Cable Project (ISCP).  This project proposed to export 25% of the country’s electricity generation potential to the European continent.  In order to undertake this €6.3 billion project - which represented over 80% of the annual GDP of the entire nation - the prime minister of Iceland and the president of the state-owned energy company, Landsvirkjun, first needed to arrange the project’s financing.

faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~charvey/Teaching/BA456_2001/ICE/ICE.doc

You may need to download Microsoft Office word viewer 2003 to read this

« Last Edit: 10/12/2006 20:40:53 by syhprum »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2006 14:32:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length