The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you help identify this oldschool measuring/calibration instrument?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline furtive_vole

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm hoping to identify the name and use of the instrument shown in the photos. Provenance unknown although came to my from my father (industrial designer) and possibly grandfather (engineer - marine and other).  The large calibrated vertical dial on the left links to the upward-facing display via a worm. The case contains (far right) an additional weight(?) with a flat-ended pin.

I appreciate that this forum many not be the best place for this post: if so could you point me in the right direction?  Many thanks.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think you might have a planimeter, a technical drawing or drafting instrument used to estimate area on a drawing. I think the 'weight' might be support for the fixed end but I'm not sure.
Fascinating item, does it say who made it?

The following users thanked this post: furtive_vole

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It looks like some sort of router to me, to scribe out indentations and scrolls, weight defining the depth of scroll.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It looks like some sort of router to me, to scribe out indentations and scrolls, weight defining the depth of scroll.
I must admit when I first saw it I thought scriber, perhaps for arcs. But I couldn't make sense of the wheel and scale until I stopped thinking of that as an adjuster and looked at it as a measuring device.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I agree with colin2B

It looks very much like one of these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planimeter

Offline furtive_vole

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thanks to everyone who has replied.  The planimeter certainly looks a close match.

Though not obvious from the photos, the sharpest of the 'points' seems suited to anchoring rather then scribing or routing ... there's no ready means of holding, say, a pencil lead or a cutting device.

There's a maker's (rather than owner's) name at the far end of the free arm, but it's in script and was illegible / unrecognisible. Having checked out ebay however, it's coming up as an Amsler, Jacob Amsler being a 19th century Swiss mathematician and instrument-maker.

Many thanks again - learned something today!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums