The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How could a flat motherboard battery cause colour distortion on my computer?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I my dining room I use a Samsung 22" monitor both for TV and computer display.
recently I had a strange problem with the screen colour on computer use with everything glowing red.
Like most nerds I assumed it could be cured by software but got nowhere, eventually after trying a different NVidia card that was OK in another computer which stopped the computer working completely by disrupting the BIOS I thought to test the BIOS back up battery and found it down to 1 volt.
Replacing it cured all the problems !, should I have tried this earlier (the computer is of 2008 vintage rescued from the town dump)
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 11:36:57 by chris »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I should have been alerted to this problem as the first date displayed on the screen was often wrong.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
I had date problems on more than one occasion, which were caused by the battery going out.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The BIOS system on the Packard Bell motherboard does in fact display the battery voltage if you look in the right place, it will be one of the first things I will look at next time I get strange computer faults.

« Last Edit: 31/10/2015 06:11:06 by syhprum »

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
Well..., i missed by far thinking of STDOUT , "SVG color map" and "color depth" registered with the driver and its hardware port - BUS...

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I'm quite surprised that the board battery going out was causing colour distortion. When the machine is running there is no role for the battery; are you saying that the colours remain resolutely uncorrected when the computer was live and the card was adjusted?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums