The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can i make a laser diode (p-n junction)?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline tilen99

• First timers
    • View Profile
How can i make a laser diode (p-n junction)?
« on: 29/10/2015 16:54:45 »
I would like to make a powerful laser, but i want the diode to withstand enormous amounts of energy. I want to make a laser gun that would produce a very concentrated laser beam that would be on for about a milisecond or less, and in that time it would relese an all (or most of ) the energy stored (in supercopacitors or from graphene baterys). So could i make my own laser p-n junction that would be able to do that and if so how? Thanks for the answers alredy.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: How can i make a laser diode (p-n junction)?
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2015 17:26:26 »
You would do better to use a CO2 laser to generate lots of energy, or for a short blast of very high power, use pumped rubidium or neodymium glass plus a Q switch.  Diodes are relatively inefficient (compared with CO2) and a bit slow (compared with glass).

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2015 20:18:21 »
With lasers, eye damage is especially risky, because many of the more powerful lasers operate at invisible infra-red wavelengths. In some cases, the first warning people had that they had been exposed to a laser was the "pop" noise as the laser exploded the fluid in their eyeball into steam.

This type of weapon is such a high risk to all groups that it has been banned by international treaty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

International laser safety regulations require interlocks that will prevent people from being injured by laser light.

So read up on laser safety before you build your weaponized CD player or equip your sharks with lasers on their heads.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2015 20:18:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums