The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Photon from the accelerated e- not responsable for interference Pattern?  (Read 505 times)

Offline Al Ex Tsm

• First timers
    • View Profile
I was reading about photons and electrons on this forum after being curious about the "double slit experiment".

In this post(http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=46865.0) the answer states the following:

"If you accelerate an electron (eg if it passes close to a proton), it causes a disturbance in the electromagnetic field, which will propagate away from the disturbed electron at the speed of light. We call this propagating packet of energy a photon."

This made me think about one of the questions raised in the "double slit experiment":

Why does an electron(particle!?) leave a wave like interference pattern?

My question is:

If in the experiment electrons are shot(accelerated) towards the screen(through the slits), how is it explained that the photon emitted from the accelerated electron is not the responsable for the wave like interference pattern?
« Last Edit: 01/11/2015 17:14:25 by Al Ex Tsm »

Offline GoC

• View Profile
If in the experiment electrons are shot(accelerated) towards the screen(through the slits), how is it explained that the photon emitted from the accelerated electron is not the responsable for the wave like interference pattern?

If you create a wave that propagates at the speed of light and then split it into two waves using slits, how could they not interfere? With the way you explained it logic would expect a interference.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums