The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the eventual outcome for the Universe...will it freeze over, or burn out?  (Read 4336 times)

Offline BenJamin

• First timers
    • View Profile
I always thought that the universe was expanding because of the big bang and that the universe would freeze or burn. Either slow down and stop and then freeze or go back on itself and explode again. Is there any truth in this please?
« Last Edit: 17/02/2007 16:57:35 by thedoc »

Dr. Praetoria

The cosmic "end" can be determined from Einstein's GR equations which have serveral solutions--each pointing to a different "end".  The important factor in all of these is the factor Omega or the average matter density of the universe divided by a critical value of the density (Omega could be equal, less than or greater than 1)--and, it would freeze if less than 1 or burn if greater than 1.  I think the latest position is that the universe is closed or the "burn ending". [:(!]

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think the general concensus is that that the rate of expansion is increasing so unless it turns back we are going to freeze

Offline BenJamin

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thanks guys very quick responses... :) 

Offline Heliotrope

• View Profile
    • http://www.davethedrummer.com
Before we freeze we will get ripped apart by The Big Rip.
This is where the expansion of space exceeds the speed of light at a certain distance.
That distance will get less and less as time goes on.
Nearby galaxies will start disappearing over our horizon and we will be unable to see them or communicate with them because they are receeding faster than light.
Then evetually the outskirts of our own galaxy will start receeding faster than c.
Then the outer Solar System.
Then the end of your garden will disappear and as you reach your arm out in surprise that you can't see the gnomes in the cabbage patch anymore your fingers will elongate and disappear and then your perception will cease as your body is disassociated by the insane onrushing expansion of space.
In the end every particle will occupy it's own Universe where it is unable to perceive or communicate with anything else.
Eventually even that particles will have their mass converted into energy to fuel the expansion.
Thus everything ends in The Big Rip.

Not fun.

Apart from the blo*dy annoying gnomes vanishing once and for all that is.
:D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
As a firm believer in empirical study I took my sons book on The Universe and put it in the freezer.

Nothing to report yet except that it's rather cold !   Though it has attracted  a frozen chicken  ;)

Offline Heliotrope

• View Profile
    • http://www.davethedrummer.com
Kinky chicken.
:D

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums