The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Makes Light Move ?  (Read 14248 times)

jolly

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #25 on: 25/02/2007 20:34:52 »
deleted as inapproprate
« Last Edit: 06/03/2007 00:31:41 by jolly »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #26 on: 25/02/2007 21:31:44 »
My belief is that light, a photon, is propagated by a gravity wave and travels along with the wave.
The same goes for all forms of radiation, they just hitch a ride!

As soon as a photon comes into existence it moves at the speed of gravity and as the photon can be seen its speed can be measured.

Mebe...........  ;D

jolly

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #27 on: 25/02/2007 22:12:31 »
deleted as inapproprate     
« Last Edit: 06/03/2007 00:31:13 by jolly »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #28 on: 27/02/2007 16:56:26 »
Einstein predicted that gravity acts on all mass at the speed of light!

Something which the 21st century has only recently proven/observed

Be careful with the black hole idea: as of yet no one knows really what they are or what they consist of. Just because a black hole emits no visible light don't automatically assume that it has a dense mass at its core stopping the light from exiting. It could just as well have nothing at its core and be just as stated, a hole.

In the other related sciences: The Brane, Hawkings radiation and Higgs bosons so far have never been detected and exist only in guesswork theory.

TMM

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #29 on: 28/02/2007 08:35:25 »
No its my view of why light moves.
Exactly. This means you should have posted in "New Theories" section. Probably you don't have understood exactly which is the difference between "scientific" and "non-scientific". You can have your personal view of a subject in Literature, for example, but not in Science, unless you call it "your theory". Science CANNOT be "interpreted".

jolly

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #30 on: 01/03/2007 21:07:14 »
What you think is a theory to. Its your best guess or someone elses and your going along with it.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #31 on: 01/03/2007 23:06:40 »
Jolly

Lightarrows theories or best guesses as you incorrectly put it are completely different to yours. Lightarrows theory's may not be his but they are classed as scientific theories as they can be backed up by experimental evidence and mathematical models .They are theories that have  mostly stood the test of time due to the fact that no has as of yet been able to scientifically discredit them, and believe people have tried.

Your theories are nothing more that your theories. Their nothing more than your best or worst guesses and can only be backed up by you. You have no experimental evidence to prove your theories and probably wouldn't know where to start if someone asked you to supply a mathematical model.

« Last Edit: 02/03/2007 00:42:02 by ukmicky »

Offline Infamous

• View Profile
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #32 on: 02/03/2007 03:22:49 »
Interesting question, "What makes light move",..; Consider the following:

As we all know, light propagates at the speed of 186,282 miles per second. According to theory, anything traveling at that speed would experience no passage of time. Also known as time dilation, this principal of physics has been established and prov-en to be factual. Now, just for the sake of argument, let's imagine it were possible for us to hitch a ride on this wave we refer to as the photon. From the time of it's creation, whether in one of our nearest stars or at the big bang itself, until this wave falls upon a solid object, it would have experienced no passage of any time whatsoever. Assuming that it were possible to ride along with this photon, we would have arrived at our destination instantly. Now that I've proposed this little thought experiment for your entertainment, ask yourself this not so simple question:

If no time has elapsed, have we really moved at all?

This in reality is not so simple a question is it?

It all boils down to the main point that I'm driving at. What does it really mean when we  say "light moved"?.......................Infy
« Last Edit: 03/03/2007 18:07:24 by Infamous »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #33 on: 02/03/2007 18:52:48 »
Interesting question, "What makes light move",..; Consider the following:
As we all know, light propagates at the speed of 186,282 miles per second. According to theory, anything traveling at that speed would experience no passage of time.
Not exactly. No body with rest mass ≠ 0 can reach light's speed, and how time passes for light no theory can tell you. What SR (special relativity) says is that if a body approaches light's speed, his proper time becomes infinitely smaller than a rest body's proper time.

another_someone

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #34 on: 02/03/2007 21:22:27 »
What do you mean by "light moving"?

Light is an electromagnetic wave, which according to SR is simply a manifestation of a moving electrical charge - thus, if I understand this, light does not move in any real sense, but what we perceive is merely a time delay before we can perceive the movement of the electrical field.

jolly

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #35 on: 03/03/2007 15:35:13 »
deleted as inapproprate
« Last Edit: 06/03/2007 00:30:27 by jolly »

jolly

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #36 on: 03/03/2007 18:19:33 »
deleted as inapproprate
« Last Edit: 06/03/2007 00:30:44 by jolly »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #37 on: 04/03/2007 16:01:46 »
"if you make a vaccum the things inside will become timeless."
Do you have any semblance of evidence for that?
I only ask because it's quie commonplace to observe things in (pretty good) vacua and I think that if time changed people would have noticed by now.

The Naked Scientists Forum

What Makes Light Move ?
« Reply #37 on: 04/03/2007 16:01:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums