The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The ice age. Why it was exist 20 000 years ago but now it is not exist?  (Read 13313 times)

Offline RRR

• View Profile
The ice age. Why it was exist in Europe,Russia, Canada and USA  10 000 years ago but now it is not exist?  What were causes for the  changes of global climate 10000 years ago?

Why the Wurm's ice age did last during 85000 years
but  the Mindel's  ice age did last during 20000 years only? .
Is it possible an appearance of any  new ice ages in the Earth's future ?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Ice Age may still be going on. It depends on which scientist you speak with. As for Why, see the section "Evidence for ice ages" on the page below. There all is well explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

Best sorces for information - Wikipedia.org and Google.com - Then if there is some detail you do not understand, ask the questions here. I do not mind answering questions but I am a firm believer that if a person researches the information themselves first, they learn much more than if someone just tells them the answer.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
There's been an ice age in my freezer for the last 5 years !..I am worried.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Neil, my friend, I worry about you at times. There is such a thing as a self-defrosting freezer.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Isn't it something to do with the sun's cycle? At the moment, there's a theory that it is not Climate Change or global warming that is heating this earth up, but something to do with the sun's cycle. Meaning that the sun is burning more hydrogen than it usually does, resulting in this hotter climate

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Sun's cycle has been used in the past but has not been used for a long time. These cycles do not explain the glaciations that happened far in the past, such as the Permian glaciation in what is now Argentina, Angola, and other parts of the present southern hemisphere. A relatively new theory that has some evidence too support it is that the earth does not always have the same axial tilt, but can vary up to 90 from its present axis. This is different from the periodic, I believe 28,000 year(?), sun cycle that the shifts of the earth's rotational axis are major, not just the slight wobble we know of today.

The global warming we experience today is man made (it is the fastest change in different gas levels known) but in the past it has not always been. There have been periods of warmer and periods of colder temperatures for the earth as the amounts of Oxygen trapped by the carbon cycle in carbonate rocks have changed. Animals for the most part fix carbon in carbonates and rain water liberates it.

I do not believe there is any one theory that fits all of the pieces together.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Jim, thanks for that! I never knew that there was a theory in which Earth's axis changes!

Offline mark71

• View Profile
cave men used to light lots of fire...thus warminmg the planet...

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There's been an ice age in my freezer for the last 5 years !..I am worried.
Any wooly mammoths in your freezer?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums