The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do genes govern personality?  (Read 7722 times)

Offline nith2k6

• First timers
    • View Profile
How do genes govern personality?
« on: 14/12/2006 16:15:44 »
Hai All

I have a question ???. This is especially for genestists and biotechnists [O8)]. Is there any relation between gene and personality [:X] [:-'(] ::) :o [^] [:(!] [V] i.e; character [?]. Also, why there are some external morphological variations between the countries. For example, Chinese have a flat face and stub nose and Africans were gigantic and has curly hair and most of the indians have baldness. For all these people, they are similar within their countries but differ with other countries. I apologise if i made any inconvenience or hurt.
« Last Edit: 21/12/2006 23:20:08 by chris »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: How do genes govern personality?
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2006 00:27:06 »
You just wanted to use that icon with the fuzzy hair , hopefully somebody soon with brains in the right place will answer your question , Neil where are you :)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: How do genes govern personality?
« Reply #2 on: 16/12/2006 12:24:36 »
Well, culture aside, we know that gender makes a big contribution to personality, and that's down to whether you carry two X chromosomes (and are female), or an X and a Y chromosome (and are male).

Males are typically more aggressive, more competitive and more likely to resolve a conflict through violent means than women. I'd argue, therefore, that this is an excellent example of genes dictating personality.

Chris

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2007 16:29:39 »
thats more of a genes controlling testosterone level, which in turn control some personality.  There are always exceptions, and not the same results will always come from a strand of DNA in that sense.  I am among the men who hate a fight.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2007 19:51:36 »
I don't think it makes a jot of difference whether a gene makes a hormone, an enzyme or a receptor. There is no gene for testosterone; instead there is a complex synthetic pathway, encoded by multiple genes, that enables cells to make it. Then there's a separate gene again for its receptor.

It's daft to view genes as individual entities that have individual effects, because on the whole it just doesn't work like that. Genes achieve functions through interactions with thousands of other genes and their products. But all of their effects are manifest "indirectly" (as you put it) through their influences of cell biochemistry.

Chris

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/01/2007 21:22:35 »
the effect of genes on behaviour is a very interesting subject. personality includes emotion as well as behaviour, and there is evidence that chemicals can alter both. these tend to be short term occurrances for the purposes of experimentation though, and personality is more the baseline state of mind, not the changes that are capable within it.

I think there must be some kind of baseline, whether this is different for different people I have no idea. the interactions of gene products with the environment, nutrition, stimuli, pain, sensation etc etc etc are far too complicated.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/03/2007 12:31:56 »
This comes down to the classic nature/nurture debate. There is evidence for both being a controlling factor.

My view is this. From steel you can make, say, a plough or a sword; and a plough can also be made out of wood. However, a wooden sword wouldn't be much use. If you take the raw material as representing nature (DNA etc) then it follows that nurture (environment) fashions that into the finished product. You can start with the same raw material and fashion different things from it, or you can fashion the same article from different raw materials.
In other words there are basic genetic patterns that tend toward, or preclude, certain personality traits; but it is one's environment that decides which of those traits manifest.

John Watson famously said "Give me the child until he is 7 years old & I will make him into anything I want" (or words to that effect). I don't hold with that opinion. For instance, if a child doesn't have the foundations of musical talent he could never become a concert pianist. And I can't imagine a child with ADHD growing up to become a brain surgeon! The basic pattern needs to be there or the trait will not manifest.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 17/03/2007 12:31:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums