The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What happened to space opera?  (Read 830 times)

Offline CmdrShep2154

• First timers
    • View Profile
What happened to space opera?
« on: 10/11/2015 05:14:44 »
Back in the in the 90s and early 2000s we had a glut of space operas like Babylon 5, Star Trek, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica. I used to see a lot of commercials promoting the Battlestar Galactica TV series back in 2004-05. Unfortunately I did not get into the genre until early 2014 when I played the first Mass Effect under the recommendation of a friend. I thought the Battle for the Citadel scene was epic. I was captivated. I craved more space adventure, politics, intrigue, science, and laser battles. Did the network execs decide the genre was dead? Considered too intellectual by the general population? Should this genre be revived? Ever since Battlestar Galactic ended its run back in 2009 there was no TV show, on any network, featuring people on spaceships.

It was long thought that fantasy was a genre once thought reserved for geeks but Game of Thrones has garnered a huge audience. Perhaps a well written space opera with a huge budget could appeal to a diverse audience. Perhaps the success of LOTR and Harry Potter also contributed to fantasy becoming mainstream. I hope an space opera equivalent of LOTR and/or Harry Potter to be successful at the box office.

I want an high quality epic space opera to become the sci fi equivalent of GOT! I want something that will make the genre mainstream!

« Last Edit: 10/11/2015 05:17:20 by CmdrShep2154 »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to space opera?
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2015 13:12:42 »
There is a new (2015) space opera-esque show on syfy (or netflix), called Dark Matter that I think is pretty well done. They're going to have a second season, but so far it's just one 13-episode season. I think there is going to be a star trek reboot as well, on CBS in 2 years (http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-series/)

PS: you didn't mention Farscape in your list of space operas. If you liked Firefly and Babylon 5, and haven't seen Farscape yet, I highly recommend it. It's a very self-aware show about a human that accidentally ends up on a ship of aliens in some distant corner of the universe (drama and ridiculousness ensues). There are a lot of jokes the human makes that we get, but the aliens are oblivious to, which is a nice touch. There are several seasons and a movie in the franchise.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2015 17:56:51 »

PS: you didn't mention Farscape in your list of space operas.

Didn't mention Blake's 7 either.

But then......

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2015 17:56:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length