The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How to make Tetraethylorthosilicate?  (Read 968 times)

Offline eric2011

• View Profile
How to make Tetraethylorthosilicate?
« on: 13/11/2015 01:33:53 »
Hello

How can I make one of these at home? tetraethylorthosilicate (TEOS), tetramethylorthosilicate (TMOS), tetramethoxysilanc (TMS), or tetraethoxysilane (TES).
« Last Edit: 13/11/2015 07:49:15 by chris »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to make Tetraethylorthosilicate
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2015 03:02:34 »
You probably don't want to be making these things at home. I wouldn't handle them outside of a fume hood (their vapors react with water to make SiO2, so it will essentially react with your eyes and lungs to make sand.) Typically they are made from SiCl4 (which is way nastier, reacting with your eyes to make sand and hydrochloric acid!) I once accidentally "welded" my glassware together when using SiHCl3 on a humid day because it was slowly leaking out the joint between my flask and the condenser, and as soon as it contacted the humid air, it turned to glass and acid. I had to cut the condenser off to get my product out!

Is the TEOS your final goal, or is there perhaps another way to get what you really are after?

Offline eric2011

• View Profile
Re: How to make Tetraethylorthosilicate
« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2015 04:27:30 »
You probably don't want to be making these things at home. I wouldn't handle them outside of a fume hood (their vapors react with water to make SiO2, so it will essentially react with your eyes and lungs to make sand.) Typically they are made from SiCl4 (which is way nastier, reacting with your eyes to make sand and hydrochloric acid!) I once accidentally "welded" my glassware together when using SiHCl3 on a humid day because it was slowly leaking out the joint between my flask and the condenser, and as soon as it contacted the humid air, it turned to glass and acid. I had to cut the condenser off to get my product out!

Is the TEOS your final goal, or is there perhaps another way to get what you really are after?

My final goal is to get TEOS. Cant I just protect my eyes?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to make Tetraethylorthosilicate?
« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2015 16:27:08 »
It will attack skin and lungs too.
Why do you want this stuff?

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: How to make Tetraethylorthosilicate?
« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2015 16:27:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums