The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!  (Read 5164 times)

Offline adamagalas

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!
« on: 19/12/2006 23:36:42 »
So the other day I run out of mouthwash and pop into the nearest gas station to get some more. Just my luck they are all out but I notice that Isopropyl Alchohal,(rubbing alchohal) is available and at a cheaper price.

So I figure, "mouthwash has alchohal in it, and it is a dissinfectant, so as long as I don't swallow it I should be fine."

Well the stuff burns like hell, but that is to be expected, it is 70% pure alchohal.

Then this morning, after 35 seconds of drowning in the stuff my tongue gets to be more than I can bear. So I spit it out and all day I have cotton mouth, that I can handle.

However, just now I looked in the mirror and noticed that the top of my tongue is grey! Is it possible that I managed to kill off my taste buds and now they are necrotising? Am I going to develop a gangrenous tongue that will need to be amputated?

Should I go racing off to my doctor straight off or should I give it till tomorrow?

Does anyone have any helpfull advice?

I don't understand where I went wrong. Isopropyl Alchohal isn't even as strong as some vodkas, which don't cause the problems I'm having.

Any thoughts on the matter?

P.S sorry to come begging to you chaps about such a personal problem but my health insurance sucks and I would rather not pay an arm and a leg unless I have too.


 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!
« Reply #1 on: 20/12/2006 00:16:21 »
Welcome Adam, I don't know what to say!! But alchol is kinda hard on the skin in a drying way. I imagine it's horrible in your moth, does it not say on the bottle do not ingest? I hope some here will no what to do for you! Whatever you do, don't do it again until you know. You can use a bit of baking soda and water as a mouth rinse!!! maybe chew on a mint leaf after. Don't swallow that either although a little soda and water in a pinch will kill heartburn... wait for someone with more knowledge then I. Good luck!
 

ROBERT

  • Guest
Re: PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!
« Reply #2 on: 20/12/2006 17:53:11 »
Rubbing alcohol is drunk by impoverished alcoholics as it is cheaper, but more poisonous, than ethanol (in vodka).
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol-poisoning/DS00861/DSECTION=3

(In the UK there is a similar substance called "Methylated Spirit", or "Meths".
 Meths drinkers have a very short life-expectancy).

Quote
Other alcohols are substantially more poisonous than ethanol, partly because they take much longer to be metabolized, and often their metabolism produces even more toxic substances. Methanol, or wood alcohol, for instance, is oxidized by alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes in the liver to the poisonous formaldehyde, which can cause blindness or death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol
« Last Edit: 20/12/2006 18:21:01 by ROBERT »
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!
« Reply #3 on: 20/12/2006 22:07:36 »
Thanks Robert this post has been here for a few days!
 

Offline paulat

  • New Theorists
  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!
« Reply #4 on: 24/12/2006 10:42:37 »
Here's a review article on alcohol toxicity and effects of ingestion.

Interestingly, isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) has a much higher potency than ethanol (alcohol) and causes significant CNS depressant effects. A significant proportion is excreted unchanged by the kidneys, but much if it is metabolised by the liver to acetone, a ketone.

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic19.htm [nofollow]
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: PLEASE HELP! TONGUE MAY BE NECROTIZING!
« Reply #4 on: 24/12/2006 10:42:37 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums