The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is a hallucinogen and what makes it hallucinogenic?  (Read 4025 times)

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
What causes certain substances to have hallucinogenic effects? How can a white powder make some one think the world is rainbow colors, or chewing on a leaf cause some one to live the life of a roman wine seller for a week inside their head, only to awaken and see it was half an hour?
« Last Edit: 22/12/2006 23:46:57 by chris »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is a hallucinogen and what makes it hallucinogenic?
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2006 01:28:18 »
When I was younger I really didn't care, I just put on some Black Sabath and lay back. Now that I am decades older, I still don't care. But I think the word 'alkeloids' is involved and I failed organic chemistry, which made up my mind for memthat I was going to be a geologist, rather than a chemist.

[O8)] yeh, man! (1968)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/12/2006 02:23:03 »
Well you do need a chemist/bilogist to explain the bio chemistry of it but it's simply a matter of ingesting/imbibing/inhaling/injecting a chemical which causes all manner of weird stuff to happen to your brain, or parts there of. It just literally gives your perception a sideways knock and you are outta there !!..I mean...it's like... ' far out ' and ' happennin Man'....

I imagine it must be like a living dream where your imagination runs riot...and all your senses are enhanced...or you are under the illusion that they are anyway..........taste, touch, sight, smell...erhhmm..the other one !!..LOL..are all amplified as is your comprehension and ability to fantasize....

Once in your happy hippy land you can forget about relying on time to be adequately managed by your brain...because of the effects of the drug.

Offline Heliotrope

• View Profile
    • http://www.davethedrummer.com
« Reply #3 on: 21/12/2006 13:13:45 »
When I was younger I really didn't care, I just put on some Black Sabath and lay back.

Yeah !
\m/
I wasted many, many evenings in a friend's front room where we changed the lightbulb for a red one and listened to Black Sabbath for what seemed like days at a time.

Offline thelastman

• View Profile
What is a hallucinogen and what makes it hallucinogenic?
« Reply #4 on: 24/05/2009 17:27:40 »
Take LSD for example but first consider the normal neuro-chemical processes going on in the brain:  Our perception of existence is created by firing patterns of neurons.  A nerve signal is transmitted from one neuron to another by chemical messengers in the synaptic connections between neurons:  The nerve impulse reaches the end of the transmitting neuron causing neuro-transmitters to be released into the synaptic cleft, these chemicals then move across the cleft and bind to receptors on the receiving neurons causing it to either fire (stimulate) or not fire (inhibit).  LSD and other hallucinogenic substances "mimic" (but not exactly) these neuro-transmitters and can therefore cause "false" signals to be generated in the neural-circuitry.  Look at the chemical structure of LSD and the neuro-transmitter dopamine.  They look similar.  Now imagine our real perception of some event in life, say the wind.  Our (real) perception of this is encoded in the firing patterns of neural assemblies and these patterns in turn, controlled by the neuro-chemistry occurring in the synapse when the real phenomenon occurs in our life.  Now imagine a rogue-substance crossing into the synaptic gap which looks like the normal neuro-transmitter.  It can then cause "false" nerve transmissions which invoke a perception which is really not there: an hallucination.

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is a hallucinogen and what makes it hallucinogenic?
« Reply #4 on: 24/05/2009 17:27:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums