The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is Unleaded Petrol Bad For The Skin ?  (Read 29838 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Is Unleaded Petrol Bad For The Skin ?
« on: 21/12/2006 23:26:01 »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lets face it..it is just not my week !!

I just went to fill my car up with petrol and the silly auto thing did not click off when my tank was full.

Conclusion: Back spray of Unleaded (Super though...only the good stuff !) all over the place, on my clothes car and skin...and I had just had a bath too !!!

arrrgh !!!..do I need to attention ? LOL....I mean..does mY skin need attention ?

Thank you

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Is Unleaded Petrol Bad For The Skin ?
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2006 23:42:45 »
Well Neil, unleaded makes up for its lack of lead by being rich in benzene. So we've swapped dementia for cancer!

Chris

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/12/2006 23:51:21 »
Well Neil, unleaded makes up for its lack of lead by being rich in benzene. So we've swapped dementia for cancer!

Chris

Oh good !!..happy me !!  ;)

Who said Doctors do not have a nice bedside manner !! ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/12/2006 02:40:55 »
You should be good.. Did you shower again.. it's pretty stinky business! I am sorry that you got sprayed I have had that happen  to me when the pump nozzel popped out of the tank and nailed me!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/12/2006 02:58:15 »
Yep, me had a wash....

...but I was so peeved I almost dropped the cigarette I was smoking when it all spewed over me !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/12/2006 03:16:13 »
OH man.. I thought you were done with the first one SIR! EH????? Those are truely CANCER STICKS!!! Be careful YOU!!! YOU KNOW WHAT< I JUST READ ALL THAT AND POSTED AND THEN REALIZED YOU WAS BEING FUNNY!!!! LOL I is truly slow to catch on...

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: 22/12/2006 11:29:08 »
A more immediate problem would be that it dissolved out the oils from your skin making it dry.
I doubt that you are going to get cancer immediately from it, as I know a lot of people who get a hugely higher exposure to it than you just have who seem to be ok so far - not least my dad who uses it for washing oily things in.
So probably something to avoid, but not worry about too much.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/12/2006 16:49:52 »
A more immediate problem would be that it dissolved out the oils from your skin making it dry.
I doubt that you are going to get cancer immediately from it, as I know a lot of people who get a hugely higher exposure to it than you just have who seem to be ok so far - not least my dad who uses it for washing oily things in.
So probably something to avoid, but not worry about too much.

Dave....That is exactly what happened...parts of the skin around my finger nails ...became quite flaky and just peeled off !!.. Sound a lot worse than it was...all seems fine now  !

THANKS DAVE

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/12/2006 17:02:15 »
You will be fine.. Use some lotion or better yet some lanolin that is really good. pure aloe will help your fingers also!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/12/2006 17:21:08 »
You will be fine.. Use some lotion or better yet some lanolin that is really good. pure aloe will help your fingers also!

Hmmm...I took a  crash course 24 hour veterinary course and I now have my arm stuck half way up a pregnant cow !! I thought this would be the best solution !!...and it's not easy to type !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/12/2006 17:55:38 »
I bet tis not easy!! Speaking of arms up cows, Me daughter and oldest sun go and help their rancher friend every seaon, doing artifical insemination on his brewd od cows... It do required your exact predicament!! LOL I could not imagine.. Daugther has helped a mama cow deliver when babes got stuck... almost killed the mom... but between two of them they were able to go in and rearrange calf in order to deliver safely... can you imagine, they had to push calf back inside and then turn it some way as half was out and other half horribly stuck in wrong place.. Don't know the detais.. but was cool, both lived...

OH SIr I hope You get enough Lanolin to do the trick while your in there!!! LOL Talk about going to the source!!! LOL

Offline huwston

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09/01/2007 00:49:05 »
prolonged exposure or continuous exposure could have some effect, its not the nicest thing you can have on your hands.
acetone can cause dermatitis and eczema if its constantly in contact with the skin. like a lot of alcohols and alkyls ketones and what not will break down fatty acids and oils and dry them up.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 09/01/2007 00:49:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums