The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A Day with The Grumpys  (Read 4705 times)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
A Day with The Grumpys
« on: 23/12/2006 22:41:18 »
As I woke this morning I knew it just may not be a good day. It was 1:24 PM, the temperature in the room was in the 53 F (between 11 & 12 C for all you people who cannot resist imitating the French). It got worse as I looked out the window. It was, and still is, raining, cool (41 F - convert for yourself!) and there is a wind, not much, but enough to cause a chill to the bone. Not the ususal desert climate. It is the beginning of three months of weather one might expect in summer in the Shetlands.

SO, I get up reluctantly from between the flannel sheets, the soft blankets and dress. Look for the theremostat to put the thing on a reasonable temperature, and it falls off the wall. A plastic clip is broken. A little duct tape and later a couple of nails puts it back right. Go to the water closet for my morning constitutional and the device of John Crapper's will not function. Take the lid off the water tank and find the chain has pulled out of the thingy (a technical term some may not understand if the donot know plumbing) that opens and closes water flow into the bowl. Coat hangers are almost as good as bailing wire for improvization.

I am out of Irish Breakfast Tea. Have Earl Grey, my later in the day tea instead. Then go for the gusto with coffee. (I like to escalate the caffine intake to wake up in stages. Stark reality head on from a pitch black turkish cup of coffee is for those souls who can bend crowbars with their teeth.

Somewhat sated I find that the Counterspy program I have that runs at night has detected a trojan that downloads othe malware and also it cousin that reports key strokes to home base in the Balkins or Nigeria or wherever these things go.

I have just completed removal of the two trojans as instucted by the Counterspy company - very good at getting all the traces off but it does take time and now -

I am going back to be, get under the cover and growel at anyone who disturbs me. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

[:8] [:(!]  [:-'(]  :-\  [xx(]  >:( ???  :(  [:-'(]

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: A Day with The Grumpys
« Reply #1 on: 23/12/2006 22:51:33 »
Jim Bob, Oh My Have I had days like that!!!I am so Sorry... Well Where are you located in the States. I am Northern California  and it is raining and brezzy here also! The temperature outside is 61 degrees but it is cold. Its just after 2:38pm and it was very chili about the same here this morning as yours was.

Seems that I have some lovely shareware things on mine that idid not know I had! Oh well. I will try to iliminate them somne time soon!

I hope your day gets better and have a better one! Merry Christmas Jim Bob!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #2 on: 25/12/2006 06:34:23 »
JimBob...I had no idea it was that cool here...brrr!  I knew it was cooler this afternoon as the wind was a bit more brisk!  LOL  Loved your story as I have days like that...I had my grumpy moments when I am too tired...like right now...if this "Bub" will quit yakking about getting fired...geez!  Negativity all night long!  AAGGHH!  I have encouraged him and motivated until I am sick of it...could you please pass the duct tape!  I think I need to fix his trap...(technical term too...hehe...fluidmasters are a bear to deal with when it is cold,or the arm, or whatever the thingy is?LOL)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/12/2006 07:45:06 »
Duct Tape the fix all!! According to my Kids, comes in multiple colors , even camo! LOL

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/12/2006 08:26:37 »
LOL  camo ducttape!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/12/2006 08:37:32 »
No Kidding, I bought a roll for me son, cost me seventeen dollars for 1 roll of camo duct tape!! Good grief!LOL LOL
« Last Edit: 26/12/2006 03:10:51 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/12/2006 01:57:28 »
One word Karen...MARKERS lol

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/12/2006 03:12:36 »
MARKERS???? LOL I don't get it!!!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/12/2006 14:46:00 »
Make your own camo duct tape...LOL 

Where is my favourite Grumpmeister, JimBob?  I am waiting for another weather report...hehe

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/12/2006 17:06:53 »
OK, I got it!!

Speaking of weather report! We are having a hum dinger of a winter storm out there today! It has poured rain all night with the wind howling all night long! It is nocking things over and throwing something metalic around in my sisters yard. It was cold last night!! But not as cold today but the wind is still giving it the what for and it's still pouing down.. Kinda nice... I am going to build a fire in a few minutes and ask Robert to make us a mocha!! He is still being a lazy boy and won't rise from his bed!!!!LOL

I halfway expect the power to go out again. It was out for awhile during the night I see as my computer had been shut down the wrong way and had booted back up in safe mode!!!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/12/2006 22:24:37 »
Make your own camo duct tape...LOL 

Where is my favourite Grumpmeister, JimBob?  I am waiting for another weather report...hehe

Temperature:    60 (16 C)
Sky Conditions  Clear and sunny
Humidity:     24 %
Wind Speed:    Vrbl 6 MPH
Barometer:    30.17" (1022.0 mb)
Dewpoint:    23F (-5C)
Visibility:    10.00 mi.

There. SATISFIED?????? (it is OK)

Actually I am not grumpy today, as the front that brought with it clear skies and - UNFORTUNATELY - a load of mounain juniper pollen.  I am as alergic to this pollen as some people are to death adders.

I get horrible flu-like symptoms and am miserable most of the time. I pray for rain for a respite from the pollen. But, as the height of the season is not yet here - another week away - I can relax a little and just groan quietly.

I think I'll take a nap.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26/12/2006 23:03:05 »
NAps are good!!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27/12/2006 02:14:59 »
Temperature:    60 (16 C)
Sky Conditions  Clear and sunny
Humidity:     24 %
Wind Speed:    Vrbl 6 MPH
Barometer:    30.17" (1022.0 mb)
Dewpoint:    23F (-5C)
Visibility:    10.00 mi.

There. SATISFIED?????? (it is OK)

Actually I am not grumpy today, as the front that brought with it clear skies and - UNFORTUNATELY - a load of mounain juniper pollen.  I am as alergic to this pollen as some people are to death adders.

I get horrible flu-like symptoms and am miserable most of the time. I pray for rain for a respite from the pollen. But, as the height of the season is not yet here - another week away - I can relax a little and just groan quietly.

I think I'll take a nap.

[/quote]

LOL  thanks for the weather report!  LOL  Death adders!  Great Scots on Fire!  What part in our state has those nasty little snakies...ewww!

Missed your grumpiness...drats!  LOL  I had a nickname for you, your royal grumpiness!  LOL

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27/12/2006 03:12:24 »
Think again, there are other much more deservind of your royal grumpiness - I am sure you can come up with a few without my help.

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/12/2006 08:14:20 »
LOL  It is dangerous when I think, let alone me thinking again...oh, but JimBod...it is much more fun with you!  You give me a weather report like no other...LOL  I think you should be in charge of it daily!  Maybe I should open a new topic for your weather report...let's see...hmmm, JimBod's weather report or daily mishaps..where you can get your weather and your humour for the day!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 27/12/2006 08:14:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length