The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Quitting Smoking  (Read 3597 times)

Offline MissMontana

• View Profile
Quitting Smoking
« on: 31/01/2004 00:03:37 »
I gave up smoking in June last year and the one question that everyone asks is 'Do I feel better for it?'  However, I dont feel any different, I've put on 10 pounds and even though I go to the gym 4 times a week my blood pressure has gone up and my resting heart rate remains the same.  I have no intention of starting smoking again but would like some help in realising the benefits to my health by not smoking.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Quitting Smoking
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2004 11:18:30 »
Firstly, congratulations on giving up.

Now for the reassurance - your blood pressure and weight need to be significantly higher than normal to pose the same threat to your health as smoking. So despite a slight increase in weight and blood pressure, you are still healthier than when you smoked !

People gain weight for a variety of reasons when they give up smoking,usually because they substitute chocolate and other sugar-fixes for cigarettes. You are doing all the right things. Don't give in, keep going to the gym, cut down your food intake (specially the treats) a bit and look for anything else in your life that is making you stressed !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2004 14:34:29 »
Smoking is sort of a "hand to mouth" type activity, so frequently people substitute eating for the same type of activity.  Part of the trick for the weight gain, which in your case is minimal, is finding something else to do with your hands.  

And by the way, even though you're not aware of it, I'll bet your lungs are feeling better.  You might notice that next time you get a cold, you recover from it faster, and not keep the pulmonary congestion as long.

And, I know you taste better when you're kissed!
« Last Edit: 31/01/2004 14:36:26 by bezoar »

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2004 17:59:44 »
Your routine at the gym may not be effective, as well.  If you're not following a proper regimen, your body will adjust to your exercise routine and you won't form any new muscle or improve your cardiovascular system.  Basically all you'll be doing is burning a few extra calories.

Talk to a trainer at your gym about how you can improve strength and stamina, I'm sure they'll be happy to put you on a good regimen.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline MissMontana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/02/2004 14:36:56 »
Thanks for the comments, I think my expectations were a little high, I expected to feel healthier but ended up having more colds and sore throats which I have been told is not unusual.  I have recently had a new programme set for me in the gym, mostly cv so hopefully all that hard work will be more noticable soon, and I am not, what was the word, lardaceous by any stretch of the imagaination so as Chris said the weight gain is far less detrimental to my health than smoking was

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2004 20:18:33 »
In a while you'll probably find you become puffed after doing exercise for a lot longer! A good thing to do to exercise is during summer when it's light in the mornings, go for a half an hour walk before breakfast with a dog if you have one four days out of each week.

Also with the diet thing, you can eat as much as you ate before, good also if it's small things that requires a lot of hand to mouth movements to eat. The only secret to keeping off weight is to eat things with lots of different types of nutrients in them for example lollies are mostly just sugar, only one nutrient, and chocolate mostly fat and sugar, two kinds of nutrients. An apple is mostly sugar but it has a bunch of other nutrients in it too, so it's not so unbalanced as a lolly. And also, generally things that haven't been processed too much have more nutrients in them, since they've not been artificially put together. My own advice with keeping weight off is to eat a little at a time but often, and eat non processed foods, or processed foods of which you know aren't made mostly of one kind of nutrient and hardly any of others. Fat and sugar are nutrients too, as well. And if you choose between two similar things to eat that contain fat, if one is polo or mono-unsaturated and the other is saturated choose the mono/polo-unsaturated one. Also don't deny yourself small treats or you'll want them more, end up giving in and eating them and then feeling guilty afterwards. Eat something sugary two days a week if you want to is my advice.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2004 20:18:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length