The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the risk of mesothelioma following asbestos exposure?  (Read 4763 times)

Offline dhyl

• First timers
    • View Profile
I am very scared about abestos exposure and Mesothelioma.

I am 39 yrs old now, almost 40 soon. In the late 70s/early 80s in the UK we had an old ironing board. I was not sure if the resting pad which contained the asbestos was white, brown or blue. What I do distressingly recall is that I did not know it was abestos, that the surface broke on the pad and that (for some reason, I can't recall why) I had pieces from the pad lodged inside my nose on 2-6 ocasions and I breathed it in deeply. We had an item on tv this weekend and I am extremely worried and very distressed. What are my chances of catching Mesothlioma as approx 23 yrs has now elapsed? I know the latancy period can be up to 40 yrs and I saw a case study of a man who contracted it after 30 yrs.
« Last Edit: 19/06/2008 08:16:11 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is the risk of mesothelioma following asbestos exposure?
« Reply #1 on: 20/06/2008 12:29:18 »
Risk from exposure [to asbestos] within buildings:
There have been various attempts to estimate the risk from exposure within buildings and summaries of two of these are given below:- 

D.O.E. (U.K.)
usually < 0.0005 f ml-1 (> background, regulated fibres). 
40 hrs/week for 20 years = attributable 
Life-time risk of death of ~ 1 = 100,000. +

Ontario Royal Commission
assume 0.001 f ml-1 , 
work exposure for 10 years = attributable risk of death risk 20:1,000,000.*

* about 1/50 of death risk of 10mile drive/working day for same time 
+ about 1/100 of death risk for non-smokers from passive exposure to smoke ( ~ 1/10 cigarette/day) 

NB: Chrysotile - building exposure - all UK population- attributable risk 1 p.a. 

Therefore, provided the asbestos is well contained in structural elements such as tiles or cement, well sealed and left undisturbed (no drilling, sawing, or unscrupulous demolition), the risk of asbestos related disease should be negligibly small - arguably smaller than the risk of removing it.
http://www.agius.com/hew/resource/asbestos.htm

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is the risk of mesothelioma following asbestos exposure?
« Reply #1 on: 20/06/2008 12:29:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length