The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WOT NO CLONES?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
WOT NO CLONES?
« on: 04/01/2007 00:08:59 »
I was interested to read in the Latest Medical Discoveries thread about the fact it may be impossible to clone human beings.   

Although this comes as a relief in a way I am playfully asking what other posters would have asked their clones to do if they had one?  For a start I don't have enough time to do gardening or housework - I just hope my alter ego would find the time to do these tasks for me!    Or would a clone have been too much like me to do these things?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: WOT NO CLONES?
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2007 00:17:33 »
Hi Lynda

I'm afraid that whilst your clone would be genetically identical to you, she may well be behaviourally as different as your next door neighbour!

That's because the brain we're born with is a blank canvas. It's highly plastic and moulded daily by the experiences of everyday life. As a result no two brains are exactly the same in the way they react to the world around you.

To convince yourself that this is true, look at a set of identical twins - they're natural clones but they each have their own likes and dislikes, food and music preferences, choices of partners and so on.

So if you cloned yourself there's no guarantee that your clone would develop to think and behave the way that you do. There's therefore every reason to suspect that she might revel in performing domestic chores, something my wife never stops hoping will happen to me...

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/01/2007 01:17:49 »
I would have asked my clone to go out enjoy life and not be afraid!! To have fun and experience feelings LOVE someone with all their heart and have no regrets!!!!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/01/2007 06:36:00 »
I would ask my clone to do all the gardening during the months when mosquitos and yellow flies are bad.  Do the housekeeping including windows and all the laundry. 

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/01/2007 19:24:10 »
Hi Lynda

I'm afraid that whilst your clone would be genetically identical to you, she may well be behaviourally as different as your next door neighbour!

That's because the brain we're born with is a blank canvas. It's highly plastic and moulded daily by the experiences of everyday life. As a result no two brains are exactly the same in the way they react to the world around you.

To convince yourself that this is true, look at a set of identical twins - they're natural clones but they each have their own likes and dislikes, food and music preferences, choices of partners and so on.

So if you cloned yourself there's no guarantee that your clone would develop to think and behave the way that you do. There's therefore every reason to suspect that she might revel in performing domestic chores, something my wife never stops hoping will happen to me...

Chris that is good news!   

Perhaps she might be more like my sister or brother who are both keen gardeners - my sister is also brilliant at keeping house!  I am hopeless at finding time for housework or gardening!

Shame about not being able to have a clone!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 05/01/2007 19:24:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums