The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does a helicopter fly forwards, left or right?  (Read 14536 times)

Offline paulat

• New Theorists
    • View Profile
How does a "chopper" fly along? Why doesn't it just spin around on its axis, and how does it turn left and right?

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
Re: How does a helicopter fly forwards, left or right?
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2007 07:40:28 »
OH, geez, I have been in one of these copters...and I know they pull back on a throttle of some sorts...and pull into the direction they want it to go...pretty cool...

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2007 14:01:30 »
 I rode in a helicopter and it was actually quite fun.. way different then airplane...

The spinning top I believe gives it just lift, like a hover craft..Perhaps the slight tiping of the helicopter to either side changes its direction..Forward does that not raise the tail and move it forward and is there not a propeller located on the tail to help with push in a forward motion.. I am just guessing however..I have only ridden in them, I would like to know the answer to this also...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2007 14:20:54 »
The rotor on the top has blades that incline. When at a certain pitch they will provide forward, backward or lateral thrust as well as lift.

As this large rotor will tend to turn the helicopter (equal & opposite etc etc) the small rotor at the back is used to keep the aircraft facing forwards. By varying the amount of thrust from that rotor you can spin the copter.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/01/2007 14:42:56 »
Thanks Doctor Beaver!! :)  That is a way beter idea then mine..So do the inclined blades changs pith or angle when the throttle is pulled from one side to the other?OOOH I forgot about BAckwards.. I can't recall if I went backwards while I was on my rides..!

Ok small ay backfacing forward..?? If you iliminated the small rotor would the copter just spin in circles??

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2007 16:20:52 »
The rotor on the top has blades that incline. When at a certain pitch they will provide forward, backward or lateral thrust as well as lift.

As this large rotor will tend to turn the helicopter (equal & opposite etc etc) the small rotor at the back is used to keep the aircraft facing forwards. By varying the amount of thrust from that rotor you can spin the copter.

Actually, it is a bit more complicated !  To move forward (or backward) the rotor's axle is inclined, but the pitch of the rotor blades has to be changed constantly during the rotation.  To keep things simple, we take a two blade rotor.  As one blade is moving forward, the other blade moves backward.  If the whole helicopter moves forward, the air speed on the forward moving blade is greater than on the backward moving blade, so if the pitch were the same, the forward moving blade will generate more lift, and the whole helicopter would be tilted.
See also :  http://travel.howstuffworks.com/helicopter.htm  (complete with a lot of video fragments !)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/01/2007 19:22:01 »
Cool THanks again Eric!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 04/01/2007 19:22:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums