The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is this rock?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Nutball

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is this rock?
« on: 19/11/2015 23:37:29 »
I found a rock next to some railroad tracks by south tunnel. It is light weight, 17g I figured the density to be about 2.36 g/cm3. It is a shiny metallic silver, jagged shaped with no noticeable pattern. It will break or shatter into little shards of no particular shape, and is still silver inside. It has some occasional tiny round holes big enough to poke the tip of a pin in I can find nothing about it online except for a similar story of someone finding it by tracks also in the TN/KY area. I remember reading a book showing the process of coal formation from organic matter to dirt, to darker and darker matte looking rocks, to shinier and becoming more silver looking until it looks like this, but I have not found that stuff on line. Wikipedia says the latest stage of coal is graphite which is "hard to ignite" I didn't know it would burn. This stuff seems to be well beyond graphite and glows a bright red when heated with a propane torch, but no burning like anthracite.

I'm trying to figure out how to add pics.

I can't figure it out, pics are located at this link: ... not allowed to post external links. Can I say where to go? flyinggiants is the site, go to forums, scroll to the bottom to the testing forum, and view the "do non airplane pics work" topic to see the pictures.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2015 23:56:19 by Nutball »

Offline Nutball

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is this rock?
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2015 03:30:57 »
Seems to be anthracite.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: What is this rock?
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2015 03:30:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums